Who finds a hawk useful in the woods?

I've been contemplating buying a CS trailhawk to take camping with me instead of or in addition to my large Becker and my other smaller knives.

I'm not sure I want a hatchet, but am willing to try one out if it's light.

Oh, it's got to look cool too.

How useful do you think a hawk or a light hatchet in the woods really is?

Depends where you live, in my neck of the woods a hatchet is a very handy tool to have. Brother used a cs norsehawk on a moose last season, and it worked well.

GB makes a hatchet that is very small and, from what i have heard and read, is quite a chopper. i have a CS norse Hawk but i mostly use it fir throwing, but it chops pretty well for $20. the detatchable head could be used for alot of different things ( especially if the hawk was your only edged tool). a 14'' inch fiskars isnt a bad choice either. it is lighter than my norse hawk and chops and splits alot better (but it has no detachable head and wouldnt be reccommended for throwing)

Depends where you live, in my neck of the woods a hatchet is a very handy tool to have. Brother used a cs norsehawk on a moose last season, and it worked well.

I'm in the NE and woud not be doing a lot of splitting wood with it, but I would try from time to time.

GB makes a hatchet that is very small and, from what i have heard and read, is quite a chopper. i have a CS norse Hawk but i mostly use it fir throwing, but it chops pretty well for $20. the detatchable head could be used for alot of different things ( especially if the hawk was your only edged tool). a 14'' inch fiskars isnt a bad choice either. it is lighter than my norse hawk and chops and splits alot better (but it has no detachable head and wouldnt be reccommended for throwing)

That Gerber hatchet seems like a good little hatchet and very light. I've handled one before and it felt ok, a bit top heavy, but it felt ok.

I've never handled a fiskars though.

My fear is that a hawk is not as sheeple friendly as a hatchet. Unfortunately, living where I do, I have to worry about the sheeple and park rangers that are always around.

I was contemplating getting a hawk but I didn't because it rains alot where I live so it's more that likely I'll have to split wood. I ended up with the fiskars 14" instead. I thought the plastic shaft would feel and look cheap and flimsy at first but after I held, it I knew that it was perfect. Light weight, razor sharp and indestructable. I like that the shaft is hollow, I'm gonna try and fit a psk in there. I guess the fiskars is like the spyderco of axes, function over form.

I was contemplating getting a hawk but I didn't because it rains alot where I live so it's more that likely I'll have to split wood. I ended up with the fiskars 14" instead. I thought the plastic shaft would feel and look cheap and flimsy at first but after I held, it I knew that it was perfect. Light weight, razor sharp and indestructable. I like that the shaft is hollow, I'm gonna try and fit a psk in there. I guess the fiskars is like the spyderco of axes, function over form.

From what I have read about them I have came to the same opinion. Function over form, which is my opinion of my Spyderco.

I guess I'll have to buy a hatchet and a hawk and try both.

I have a Swamp Rat Crash Rat and its pretty darn cool. I got it on a whim, just because it looks cool. Its the size of a hatchet and chops pretty well. The spike on the back comes in handy when arranging logs in the fire as well as when throwing. An added bonus is the ability to baton through the larger logs. The only drawnback is the the hefty weight.

TLM

At least here there are two head models for most shaft lengths, a splitting and GP head. I mostly prefer the lighter weight GP head.

TM

I use my hawk mostly for throwing, but it has seen its share of chopping too. Not a good spliter, but will bite wood all day long. Its a cold steel frontier hawk, modded by me.

101_1209.jpg

101_1208.jpg

101_1206.jpg

I'm in the NE and woud not be doing a lot of splitting wood with it, but I would try from time to time.

That Gerber hatchet seems like a good little hatchet and very light. I've handled one before and it felt ok, a bit top heavy, but it felt ok.

I've never handled a fiskars though.

My fear is that a hawk is not as sheeple friendly as a hatchet. Unfortunately, living where I do, I have to worry about the sheeple and park rangers that are always around.

The Gerber is made by Fiskars, it's even stamped into the handle;) I've git the 14" Sport Axe & LOVE it !

another vote for the fiskars 14" hatchet. i got one earlier this week and can't believe how awesome it is. when i get home i will take some photos and post a review (as well as for the wetterlings i can't wait to lay my mitts on!)

it feels to me alot like i imagine a small hawk might feel...very head heavy but this allows for a hatchet totalling around 1 pound in weight to chop like my 15" HI (even better i think!)

i also think it would be my best "one tool" for the woods...i used it exclusively to get a fire going earlier; from chopping up limbs to splitting to shaving some sticks to take a flame from some PJCB...this thing really does it all, and well!

definitely a good move...even if you don't end up carrying it, you can tuck it into a car or a toolbox for emergencies.

oh and mine just took a couple of licks on some sandpaper and then a strop and it was shaving nicely. the least amount of work i have ever put into making a chopper chop.

I've had a lot of fun with my trailhawk, its allways worked well and kept a good edge, I really miss that one.

BTW, all my axes are still in Nova Scotia.

I've had a lot of fun with my trailhawk, its allways worked well and kept a good edge, I really miss that one.

BTW, all my axes are still in Nova Scotia.
I just got a Trailhawk! Looks good but i haven't done any serious chopping with it yet.
Any Canadian Tire stores nearby? Get a 14 inch Fiskars to tide you over.
S.I.R used to have the 13 inch Wetterlings in their catalog as well.
You can Wetterlings cheaper on ebay though (Bensbackwoods).

I haven't owned a Fiskars or a Wetterlings. I was in the local Home Depot looking for something to scratch the itch and didn't find anything.

It looks like I'll have to buy a trailhawk and a small hatchet and make the decision for myself.