Who has a George Lainhart style machete/knife but doesn't know or won't admit it

Cobalt

Gold Member
Alright guys, if you have been around long enough I would think that at one time or another if you have picked up one of these knives and may not know what it was or perhaps you aren't willing to admit it. What I am talking about is the George Lainhart Special ops jungle Machete.

George Lainhart designed this machete supposedly for special ops community, and specifically the Navy Seals. Not sure if these were ever actually carried or used by any spec ops units.

Generation 1. This is the original and it was made by Camilus for United. It was ATS-34 at an Rc of 56. The retail for these was $300 ish, but discounted down to $140 or there abouts. It was a solid knife with a great feel. The knife never really caught on.

Generation 2: After the run above was over, Camilus began USA production of a cheaper version of 420J2 steel instead of ATS-34. Rc for this one was at 54-56. Quite soft. Retail was just under $100 and sale prices were typically low $50's. I think this one was also made for Colt.

Then There was the UZI version that came later and fully made in china. And I think there are several other versions of this all from the same place.

The latest iteration is the Sog Jungle commander, which is a pretty decent knife.

These aren't really machetes, they are knives at near 15" oal, 9.5" blade length and 3/16" thick low sabre grind. So over the years, I have used these as my truck knives. I have used them to hammer out cement rivets when removing framing like a chisel. I have batoned them through plywood pieces. They have take it all and never failed. They are very comfortable and even the cheapest ones are pretty solid blades. The Camilus ones have radiused transitions, which even the CS Trailmasters lack.

Here is the original with ATS34:
orQfLw5.jpg

Here is the Camilus Colt version out of 420J2 I think:
ct0045_e.jpg

Here is the Sog Jungle Canopy knife
F15-n.1.jpg

Then there is the UZI Jungle Commander
2.jpg

I have owned the original in ATS34 and the Colt Version and both were great knives. Tough as nails. I have no idea if the Sog version or the UZI version are any good.

So who here has one of these models or owned one at some point and what were your thoughts?

Here is a thread with me using the Colt version.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ng-penetration-test-of-different-blade-styles

I've got the 13" Sogfari. It has a very similar handle but is longer. I haven't used it much because it seems delicate (read crap) and I have much better options these days.

I've got the 13" Sogfari. It has a very similar handle but is longer. I haven't used it much because it seems delicate (read crap) and I have much better options these days.

I have heard that one is crap. But the pure versions of the original seem to be good. Not sure about the UZI or the Sog though.

I have the smaller "Seal knife" designed by Lainhart for United Cutlery in ATS-34.

I think it is a very good knife .

well lets see how many of us come out of the closet and admit it:D

Radiused transition on both the colt and the original camilus version

C5NYS0V.jpg

I have heard that one is crap. But the pure versions of the original seem to be good. Not sure about the UZI or the Sog though.

That is hard to say. The SOG is a big piece of 8cr. Not exactly junk steel like the SOGfari. Depending on the HT it might perform as intended. I have my doubts though.

The Camillus / United versions were great, even the sheath was pretty decent as well for a factory sheath. The big thing that killed it was that it was labeled as a United, and it was late in the game where United couldn't change its cheap reputation. The other thing was the price, $140 was still a decent amount for a big knife back then, and the high end machete market was still a pipe dream. I do think if they labeled it a jungle knife or bolo (which it's closer in class to) they might of had better luck with it.

Lainhart had some neat designs that might of did well now, shame he changed interests.

The Camillus / United versions were great, even the sheath was pretty decent as well for a factory sheath. The big thing that killed it was that it was labeled as a United, and it was late in the game where United couldn't change its cheap reputation. The other thing was the price, $140 was still a decent amount for a big knife back then, and the high end machete market was still a pipe dream. I do think if they labeled it a jungle knife or bolo (which it's closer in class to) they might of had better luck with it.

Lainhart had some neat designs that might of did well now, shame he changed interests.

Very true. It was called a machete and it was not a machete. Most people figure they can get a machete for less than $10 why pay $150 for a united camilus version.

So only 4 of us have owned these? lol..yeah right. Come out of the closet guys:D

Here is some use of my colt version. This is chopping into 3/4" plywood. It really has been abused. I used a hammer to baton it through rivets in wood framing on cement floor.

TRmotorsportswheels005.jpg

TRmotorsportswheels004.jpg

TRmotorsportswheels006.jpg

TRmotorsportswheels009.jpg

My cat owns one, and he lets me borrow it from time to time. The Sog Jungle Canopy.

IMG_9452.JPG

If there is any doubt about who owns it, these bite marks should eliminate it:

IMG_9490.JPG
IMG_9491.JPG

It is a hefty piece of 8Cr13MoV steel, which has shown to be quite tough for chopping, even after I reground it to convex, and gave it a thinner edge. Before the regrind, it was quite a clunky and clumsy feeling knife, with subpar geometry and not a great edge, but now I'm satisfied.

IMG_9484.JPG
IMG_9485.JPG

The discoloration on the blade is not rust, but wood guts. I took it out on a cold day, and used it hard on some dead wood, and I even had a few missed strikes, hitting the ground a couple times. As you can see below, the rolling is relatively minor, and you probably didn't even notice it in the pics above (though it is there).

IMG_9486.JPG
IMG_9488.JPG
IMG_9487.JPG
IMG_9489.JPG

Not the best looking knife. Not the best sheath. Not the best handle, or the best blade, or material. But for the performance to price point ratio, I think it's hard to beat, particularly if you can get a good regrind. You can bet I'll fix the edge, and take this one out again.

Is not strictly against the rules but highly discouraged on sales posts, and is considered bad etiquette anywhere else if nothing of potential interest or value is added to the existing discussion.

I see what you're doing. You know that if you get my cat, his knife comes with him. Not sure I'm ready to part with either at the moment. ;)

I see what you're doing. You know that if you get my cat, his knife comes with him. Not sure I'm ready to part with either at the moment. ;)

No, we're just over the last 3 cats we had for 10-15 years (sadly), and fur-free at the moment. I really miss the 3 foot long one (stretched out, not including tail) that used to bring squirrel skulls and tails into the house. He liked fresh food and liked to be congratulated about his kills. Fastest cat I've ever seen in my 67 years.

Back