Who has reprofiled their RMD?

tomsch

Gold Member
I recently picked up a RMD and found that the edge is not real sharp. On top of that the angle is >40 degrees inclusive which is not good for my Spyderco Sharpmaker. I'm working on doing a reprofile but is taking some time. I'm also considering if I should go to 30 degrees and micro bevel to 40.

Personally, If I were gonna reprofile it, I'd go convex.

The factory edges vary, but are generally built to withstand abuse. At that, they excel... but it does sacrifice some cutting/slicing ability. I guess it all just depends on what you plan on using the knife for.

Here is a review I did with the factory edge: Ratmandu testing

SR101 is some badas* steel. :cool: :thumbup:

+1 to convex, sr101 responds exceptionally to sandpaper and some polishing.

This guy did.

12a6e629.jpg

(not my pic but:thumbup:)

Last edited:
I reprofiled my edge to 48* inclusive (24* on each side) with my Edgepro Apex. It did take a couple hours, but now that it's done it's razor sharp. I had thought of doing a 30* secondary grind with a 40* primary edge as well, but decided against it, just to have more metal behind the edge.

12a6e629.jpg

SATIN AND Convexed Edge!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: ;)

This "GUY" is ON to something. :D;)

I recently picked up a RMD and found that the edge is not real sharp.

Luckily, SR-101 "WILL" get VERRRRRRRY sharp! :thumbup:

Personally, If I were gonna reprofile it, I'd go convex.

Likewise. :thumbup: ;) - But, I sharpen with a belt sander and have a hard time thinking I would go back to jigs, stones and similar such slow methods.

SR101 is some badas* steel. :cool: :thumbup:

YES! - SR-101 is actually quite easy to sharpen and work with, VERY tough and gets a WICKED edge! :thumbup: I love the stuff!

I like satin blades, but I really like to get my edges mirror polished. SR-101 mirror polishes VERY nicely.

SwampRat-HowlingRatedgepic1b-1.jpg

Borrowed pics - Not convex, but GORGEOUS mirrored edges on SR-101 S5CG (and great pics too!):

ScrapYard-S5CGwithMIRRORpolishededg.jpg

ScrapYard-S5CGwithMIRRORpolished-2.jpg

ScrapYard-S5CGwMIRRORedgefrontleft.jpg

Last edited:
DWRW does beautiful work as does norcalblacktail:

IMG_4352.jpg

Don't forget BAN. :thumbup:

I assume that pick is Norcalblacktail's work. :thumbup:

DWRW can "get" decent results, but still a hack-home-modifier compared to Ban and Norcalblacktail. :eek:

Yes, that's Nate's (Norcalblacktail's) work. And before I sent it to him, I asked Ban if he would be interested in stripping and convexing my RMD. Ban didn't respond, so I sent it to Nate instead. And obviously, I have NO REGRETS! :thumbup: :D

Not sure it waas in for a performance tuning, it had a 4in blade and looked a bit like the ones for sale now.

Just curious, what grit would I have to finish on to get a mirror polish like that? I can get it close, but can still see a few minor scratches on the edge from the 3000 grit paper.

I just convex all my edges with a strop and wet dry sandpaper. Didn't even take an hour.

After that I maintain em with a loaded strop.

Just curious, what grit would I have to finish on to get a mirror polish like that? I can get it close, but can still see a few minor scratches on the edge from the 3000 grit paper.

You need a strop and some diamond compound around 1 micron.

Back