Who here cleans game with a SAK?

Hi there, I was just curious if anyone here cleans game with a swiss army knife or similarly styled pen blade?

Personally, I have cleaned ducks once with one, and it wasn't a bad time, but it wasn't ideal either. Tried skinning a squirrel this weekend with one and it didn't end well :(

Thoughts anyone?

I wouldn't simply because I wouldn't like to clean all the gunk, fat, hair ect. from all the recesses and places for that stuff to accumulate in an SAK.

Just fish when I forgot my fillet knife on a canoe/camping trip. Wasn't ideal, but it did the job.

I've never used a SAK , but have cleaned hundreds of rabbits with an Old Timer pocket knife .

I don't have a SAK, but I did take apart a road kill fawn last night with my Opinel#7. Happens fast if your knife is sharp.

Never used a SAK for game. I have used slippies however and don't have a problem using them. I normally have a SAK with me and it serves as a backup when I am hunting, or primary when I am fishing. I mostly catch & release fishing, so there is nothing to clean.

Works great for squirrels.

20151030_d0020_zpsujlrbwkt.jpg

I Have used one hundreds of times on small game without issue. The fairly rounded tip is an issue if you don't pinch the hide and side cut for an initial incision. On one occasion I had a huge 350+lb Mule deer Buck down about a mile from camp and my fixed blade got left behind. The knife was the old school GAK and it opened up the body cavity but I could not split the sternum with it and had huge issues reaching in and severing connective tissue to drop the guts. The hair dulled the edge immediately and while slicing blindly for the trake it kept trying to close. Not a recommended task.

My father got a deer during last year's season and we used the saw on my Victorinox farmer to saw through the sternum. It worked but the springs loosened a little bit.

I pocket carry a vic farmer often, and when placed in certain situations i have used it for everything up to moose, bear, wolf, lynx etc... sometimes you use what you've got. and although it's sacrilege to say, most any knife will do the job if the user is up to the task.

Last edited:
Peter Capstick, who was a Professional Hunter in Africa is reported to have skinned a Cape Buffalo (on a dare) with an SAK, but i never read what model. John

my uncle told me he watched a guy skin and clean an elk with a swisschamp and apparently has since he started hunting as child

Back