Who is Fred Ott?

I've never heard of him, but I'm looking at a knife by him that looks mighty nice...

Anyone knows?

Fedd Ott is a member of the PKA from Colorado. I see his work every year at the Denver Show and it is super clean. He usually wins some of the awards that are offered at the show. I think he won best bowie two years ago and best damascus piece last year.

His contact info is as follows:
Fred Ott
1257 Rancho Durango Rd.
Durango, CO 81303
(970)375-9669

Fred has been making knives for about ten years. He forges his blades and does a very nice job. You see a lot of decorative pin work on his handles.

OKCA puchase the first time I went for real 5 or 6 years ago!!!

Had the most amazing camp knife/sheath package you could ever want... and I couldn't put it down!!! :eek: And I still can't find any flaws in his workmanship!!!

I saw him at one or two shows after that, but then he stopped coming to Eugene...

I see his work quite often on some of the purveyor websites and his stuff is getting better every time...

He's also worked with M. Vangino (sp!) a lot over the last few years.

Highly recommend his work if it tickles your fancy! :D

I've noticed his work on a few websites as well and his prices seem quite attractive.

I've never seen one of his knives in person, but really like what I've seen in pictures. The wire inlay work in his handles and his wood-lined leather sheaths really catch my eye. I would love to see his rendition of oan ST-24.

Roger

Fred is Mike Vagnino's brother-in-law.

He does really clean forged work, and is a super nice guy to boot.

I haven't seen a knife from Fred that wasn't really well done :)

Thanks for spelling Vagnino's name right... I couldn't remember for the life of me! :foot:

And it was one of Fred's knives that got me into the handle style I like - his was one of the very first to actually have a much more ergonomically correct feel than all the production knives I was familiar with up until a few years ago... And the evolution of that style handle can be seen in today's knives entered into the cutting competions... like Farr's and DesRossier's (sp!) knives!

And to add a little spice - here's a pic (from the site I purchased it from!) of another terriffic bowie/sheath package - and it feels as good as it looks!!! In fact, ya can't feel the inlay at all, everything flows so seamlessly!

Attachments

• knifeart_1698_2777883.jpg
    knifeart_1698_2777883.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 88
You want wire inlay, how about 7 feet worth :eek: :

orig.jpg

I really like the carved handle and hilt on this one:

orig.jpg

pics from Rehoboth Custom Knives.

Roger

yeah - i've been looking at the one with the carved handle & hilt for quite a while. i really dig that piece. he also did a tanto with inlay that rck had that looked very cool.

Keith Montgomery said:
I've checked out a bunch of his knives on the internet and he sure is good at carving handles.

You've seen the pic of one I own, and the other feels even better in the hand than the one with inlay... And while his handles are well thought out and very well done, his forging and finishing and embellishments.. well, I can't for the life of me understand why he hasn't submitted for a crack at the JS stamp.. years ago!!!!! In fact, I think I remember asking him that and it came down to time and money...

I just hope he doesn't quit forging and making knives - I know I'll end up with another one of his again!