• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Who is liable when knife stolen by USPS -- dispute with user Kaw10e

Laws have little to do when agreeing to PayPal's TOS

This. Quoting "the law" or the Uniform Commercial Code only really matters if you're planning on taking the issue to court. Otherwise, PayPal Buyer Protection, and bad publicity/negative feedback, are the main things the seller should be worried about.

Had a bearded fighting hawk with sharpened beard/spike/top edge sharpened.....guy shipped it ri me in a padded envelope. No sheath!!!! Nearly sliced my self, and it nearly got the post woman!!

On the other hand, I'm willing to bet there's a federal law somewhere against negligently sending dangerous products through the mail without adequate protection. If a USPS employee got injured, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the seller did get an unexpected visit from the Postal Inspectors.

Well, seller added to my ignore. I don't see it being a ban situation, but the seller's rep here will take a major hit - as it should. Hope that PP makes this right for the buyer, because the seller certainly did not. This despite the mistakes.

Well, seller added to my ignore. I don't see it being a ban situation, but the seller's rep here will take a major hit - as it should. Hope that PP makes this right for the buyer, because the seller certainly did not. This despite the mistakes.
If the buyer gets made whole by PP:
I think a moderator needs to speak to him(seller). If he doesn't want to be banned he should add a clause to his sales that this is the way he works-once it is out of his hands, he takes no responsibility. With full disclosure buyers can then decide if they want to deal with him or not. I think most not, unless the deals are great or item hard to get.
If buyer is not made whole by PP: banning doesn't seem too extreme IMO. This buyer is out his money or a knife, do to sellers negligence, and it isn't going to feel any better then if he were scammed.

Last edited:
TOPIC: "Who is liable when knife stolen by USPS [?]"

When discussions are about who is "liable," that raises a prototypical legal question. So the law only matters if you want an answer to a legal question. Other comments make what seem to be valid points about what might be done in the situation, as a practical matter, which was also part of the original post, if not the topic.

Thank you all for you opinions and information. I made seller aware of this thread and haven't heard anything back. I'm working with Paypal and will update you when I know more (should be in a week).

Re "liable" - yeah, I struggled to come up with a better title. I was trading off exactness for brevity and this is where it wound up. I suppose something like "How to resolve the situation when a knife disappears during shipping" might have been more correct.

Re "liable" - yeah, I struggled to come up with a better title. I was trading off exactness for brevity and this is where it wound up. I suppose something like "How to resolve the situation when a knife disappears during shipping" might have been more correct.

Nope, title is correct - we're on a public forum, not in the Court of Law; some people like to play lawyers and split hairs and invoke the legal definitions of words, but they forget that the first synonym of 'liable' is 'responsible'. So, yes, the seller is liable/responsible for the delivery of an item he/she ships, simple as that!

Seller went on ignore a few days back (thanks OP) and he/she should be banned. Also, we should know his/her real name so we can avoid doing business with this person in the future...

Last edited:
If seller does not assist in providing a resolution through the dispute process with PayPal, I will share the limited amount of info I have on the seller in order to protect future buyers. However, I believe it's too early to share that information.

I suspect seller is a guy like me who doesn't want to be out $200 and maybe he just needed a little time (and the "nudge" of an official paypal dispute) to help him figure out how to do the right thing. Or maybe he's a total jerk - I don't know.

He was buying a $150 knife and listing it immediately for $260. But I digress -- trying to make a buck doesn't make you a total jerk (but it doesn't rule it out, either :) ).

I personally like to use the small flat rate boxes I think that it’s much more secure for mailing people pocket knives but I still even use a good bit of tape on them

If seller does not assist in providing a resolution through the dispute process with PayPal, I will share the limited amount of info I have on the seller in order to protect future buyers. However, I believe it's too early to share that information.

I suspect seller is a guy like me who doesn't want to be out $200 and maybe he just needed a little time (and the "nudge" of an official paypal dispute) to help him figure out how to do the right thing. Or maybe he's a total jerk - I don't know.

He was buying a $150 knife and listing it immediately for $260. But I digress -- trying to make a buck doesn't make you a total jerk (but it doesn't rule it out, either :) ).

In the end he's a flipper here for buying and selling. It's gonna take PayPals involvement cause those people usually aren't capable of just doing the right thing. I hope your made right.

The seller @Kaw10e failed to put any effort into shipping the knife. Had he invested a few more cents into some tape and packing material and a few more bucks into insurance he would not be out $200-something dollars because the knife was lost or stolen in transit. USPS isn’t going to make the buyer whole because the seller did not insure the package.
The two most basic shipping customs of proper packing and insuring the package were not observed by the seller. If they had been, there is a high likelihood the knife would have arrived or at the very least neither buyer nor seller would be out any $$$ in the end.

dyavorsky dyavorsky This sucks man! Not just the situation in general, but if this is the knife I think it is, I know how much you were looking fwd to receiving it. Hope you get a favorable resolution. PayPal will side with you I'm sure.

I recently received an international envelope from England. When it was delivered, the flap was open (no extra tape), and 1 of the 2 knives inside was stuck to the adhesive on the open flap, or else it would have been gone!! Unbelievable. That's the closest I've come to getting an empty package.

It's very easy to run by the post office, pick up a stack of free Priority small flat rate boxes and have them in your possession for when you sell a knife.

It's actually even easier than that. You can place a free order online and have them delivered to you!

I know some who frequent here do not like to hear this but the seller is only on bfc to buy/sell/trade. That's a red flag to me.

I noticed that too. I'm not questioning the seller's integrity. But when I scan a profile and see 100% buying/selling, it gives me pause. A person has no real connection to the community when they...aren't involved in the community. Buying and selling is just the gateway.

The op is in the same boat,but for a few posts. Buy/sell/ trade and make a complaint.

Maybe one way to change this is for us who buy any knife on here should refuse any packages that are not boxed and secure when delivered.

I know I have refused a package that was a USPS mailing envelope because it was torn open ... if everyone did maybe sellers would figure out how to pack correctly instead of trying to squeeze an extra dollar or two out by using sub par packaging.

OP Good luck on the PAYPAL route and still no response her from the seller......to ignore.

Back