Who Loves Old Timer Knives Like Me?

Kodiak PA

Gold Member
You know, we see them everywhere and for a while I was acting really snobby like, "I would never own one of those." Then one day I picked one up and boy was I impressed with the quality of the knife. The craftsmanship and the how sharp the knives are. The best part? 1095 high carbon blades...really easy to sharpen and hold a great edge.

Now I am collecting them.

Anyone else like me?

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

Buck Collectors Club-Lifetime Member
JKM-Chai
KnifeKnutt@aol.com

Yes Kodiak there are others like you. I too like to collect pocket knives like those of my youth. Carbon steel is still my favourite but it seems to be harder to find year after year. There are fewer Old Timer knives available in 1095 steel and more in the 440A steel that doesn't rust much but is not as good an edge holder. Hopefully the retro craze that inspired the Chrysler PT Cruiser will do something for we old fashioned types. Only time will tell.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by bansidthe (edited 03-12-2001).]

You can't handle an Old Timer without appreciating their quality and value (especially considering their reasonable prices). These are knives built for guys who buy a pocketknife and carry it and use it until it's worn out ... i.e. for a long long time. They're solidly constructed, honest pocketknives made with good steel that takes a razor edge in no time at all. What's not to like? (Okay, I DO wish they offered at least some OTs with natural handles.)

I have picked up nearly all of the latest Old Timers and like every one of them.Although I prefer the blade action of the Case knives,I prefer the durability of the Old Timers.For the price,they are a bargin.

------------------
"Just me and my multi-tools."

I love Schrade Old Timer knives!
I only wish they came with yellow scales like Camillus and Case.

Do the Uncle Henrys use the 440A. I just today got a model 834 Rancher, use to have the Old Timer version. The quality is outstanding, and the Delrin looks like real stag! This will be my working stockman. RKBA!

Allan,
Yes, I believe the UH are 440A & the OT are 1095.

I agree the delrin stag on the UH are very well done.

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

JKM-Chai
KnifeKnutt@aol.com

Hi all... I'm kinda new here. Really respect you guys for your knowledge and willingness to help. Like AllenC, I wish Shrade offered some yellow handles. Love my 20 year old, $10 Shrade, drop point sheath knife. Has unzipped and skinned many a deer for me.

I often carry a Bearshead Trapper, and I sure like it. I enjoy trying the newest fashionable steels, but I have to say that the 1095 Schrade uses is pretty hard to beat. It may not hold an edge as long as the CPM steels, but I enjoy sharpening knives occasionally anyway. And I like the patina that carbon steel acquires.

See what you guys started. I had to go yesterday, and get the 80T Senior. I'm crazy about it. Sure is good to get back to basics, think I'll go shoot some .22s. RKBA!

Yep, I really do like them. I have had a few around here for a while, they pretty much sat and collected dust. Maybe its me getting older, but I just could not resist the urge to start carrying them. Mainly I carry my OT trapper. I have a few observations on the OT line, and I suppose now is a good time to ramble
smile.gif

Using my trapper as the example knife (applies to the OT line in general as well)

1. SOLID construction. I have more expensive 'tac-folders'. Although the OT fit, finish and polish is not quite as finely done, the overall strength or durability would seem at least as good or better than all of my Spyderco loackbacks (Police, Endura, Horn and so on). I have used all of the above models quite a bit, and the OT is able to keep up with no problems at all.

2. The blades are carbon steel. I am able to get as good an edge on them as just about any knife I own. Using a DMT med. pocket stone and a strop, I can produce and edge that will shave hair with no pulling at all. I also like the pattern (discoloration) that the blades take on. I keep an eye out for rust of course, but the color change of carbon steel is almost un-stoppable but sure adds charecter to the knife.

3. There is something about a traditional pattern (Stockman, trapper and so on) that makes them very relaxing to use. They make you want to sit outside and mindlessly shave sticks into little piles of saw dust. The feeling of using these is one that I have never gotten with a 'tac'folder'. Maybe its the fact that the knives remind you of when you got your first knife. You really only knew about pleasant and innocent uses for them.

4. All the above reasons and many more not mentioned, all for about 20 dollars at Wal-Mart. Not a bad deal huh?

------------------
Richard Todd - Digital knife photography
icq 61363141
My WebSite
Do your site a favor, get quality digital images!!!
New photos added!!!

Not to flame Schrade or anything, I use several of their products and love them, but my experience with the Old Timer line has been disappointing. I recieved the folding lockback that resembles the Buck 110 for a present. It was pretty dull out of the package, and almost impossible to open and close with both hands. I spent many hours lubricating, cleaning and opening that knife to get it to loosen up, and it still didn't work. Also, the edges on the lock release felt sharper than the blade, making it even more unfriendly. ugh. It was probably just a fluke from the factory, but I think I'll stay away from their folders for a while. However, I feel that their filet knives are some of the best out there, if not the best for the price. I've been using them all summer long for the past couple of years, and have had nothing but good things to say about them.

C.Mapp

------------------
"A sharp mind is just as important as a sharp knife."

Richard,
You hit the nail on the head again. I agree with you 100%.....those are the reasons I carry OT...gonna go get one and carry it today!

smile.gif

Greg

------------------
~Greg Mete~
Kodiak Alaska

JKM-Chai
KnifeKnutt@aol.com

me too, me too, have three including their smallest trapper which nestles in a little travel kit i have made up in a cigarette case..
can't give model as I could not get Schrade site to work for me tonight. Also on homepage of this mfg.forum what I thought was a link to Schrade homepage in top left, led me to BFC archives instead, just thought I would mention as it seems odd..
love the ease I can get a good edge on these blades, also I blued blades, enjoy contrast w liners and bolsters..think I could do a transplant with the little spey blade..have a fixed blade I left alone, yep cool patina ...
great buy these guys
question, when is a trapper a trapper, maybe I have stockmans, they have three blades..are trappers only/always 2 blade, or is it handle shape or blade layout that determines type, as I think I have seen others desribed viceversa..thx

[This message has been edited by hillslikewhiteelephants (edited 05-14-2001).]

It has always been my understanding that a Trapper is a two-bladed knife, one clip point and one Great Western Spey blade. A Stockman has three blades.

I notice that there is some confusion as to styles and types of knives in the Schrade line. I am attempting ( that is why my listings are always edited so many times) to attach some pictures from an older brochure which if they are large enough and come through OK should show some of the various knives that were at least made then ( when the brochure came out). I hope this helps ( and works).
View
View
View

------------------

[This message has been edited by lt632ret (edited 05-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by lt632ret (edited 05-14-2001).]

Back