Who makes a good hori-hori

So my mom asked me to get her a Hori-hori knife for gardening. I would like to get her something a little bit better than the $20 offerings I'm finding all over the place. Does someone make a really good one with maybe H-1 or s30v steel and nice wood or micarta handles?. Thanx again

Hori - hori knife, interesting . This one looks good .
https://www.gardeners.com/buy/garde...MIwdebzr6w7QIV2sDICh2s2wwGEAQYCiABEgJNRfD_BwE

8608888_0947_gardeners-lifetime-hori-hori-knife-by-dewit.jpg

These are nice, $37 Canadian. Not sure if you have the store where you live but I can profile message you if interested.

BL113-hori-hori-knife-f-001.jpg

I've had a few through the years and I'm going to recommend (blasphemy!) a model with plastic handle and stainless blade. It's handle is sort of like the old Gerber Mark (whatever). Gifted one to my mom and better half (they're not as obsessed with these sort o' things and leave 'em all over the place) and we're not huge folk so the handles fit better. I spend a lot of time in the gardens and LOVE me some hori-hori!
Just saw the one above. That's it!!

I've really enjoyed gardening since forever... and for a hori hori, I'm convinced aeb-l steel would be perfect

it's super tough, super rust proof, and fairly inexpensive
and the bonus of strength with high hardness should be awesome when you're hacking up tough roots

Maybe there is a yet to be discovered market for 33 layer damascus hori-horis. lol

We use these tools fairly regularly. They are great for all sorts of yard work. We tend to focus on using them for digging up deep rooted weeds. They work for scraping, and sorta ok as a trowel.

They can be had in mystery stainless and mystery carbon. Not sure about more top tier offerings.

The wooden handles and carbon steel take on a neat weathered look and work fine. The stainless with plastic molded versions seem to last longer for us. Granted we don’t take very good care of them. I’ve gone through three carbon/wood versions, but the stainless one keeps on ticking. The handles are more comfortable as well after an hour or more of work.

I am interested to see what you end up getting.

Garrett Wade has two higher-priced offerings that may be good. They don't mention the steels used on the 2 models they have, one is US made which could be a good thing. The other supposedly uses Japanese stainless.

AM Leonard has a couple utilitarian looking models, one with a pink handle even if she's into pink (my wife is) that is a breast cancer support thing too. I like the look of the handle on the AM Leonard's the best but that may just be because I like orange and how easy it is to see.

Forestry suppliers has one made in Japan but otherwise looks like the rest shared above.

I bought one around ten years ago to use as a small digging tool for metal detecting and it has been phenomenally durable and functional. I can't recall the brand, but it LOOKS like cheap junk, with a vinyl sheath with printed Japanese script and unfinished wood handle scales.

The handle is pretty uncomfortable though, and I eventually moved on to a different tool. So, I'd recommend the Nisaku above with the more ergonomic handle.

Looking for a Hori-Hori at the moment and they all look like shit. The Nisaku looks a bit better quality than the others so I think I'll go with it. I wish there was a premium product.

I had to go out to the garden to retrieve mine from where its been all winter sticking in an onion row. A.M Leonard with a bright orange handle and stainless blade. Leonard is a professional hort supply house and I have always thought of this Hori-Hori as top of the line.

I found the brand of mine: Joshua Roth. It looks crappy, but is indestructible.

Back