Who makes a good Kabar Mk1 Sheath, if anyone does?

Great knife, crappy sheath.
https://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Kraton.../dp/B004NN3KF2

Does anyone happen to make a superior sheath for this knife? Particularly one for concealed carry.
The one it comes with has 2 straps and a lock feature which is completely over secure and unnecessary and it has a bunch of holes in it for 550 cord to strap on to a molle pack or something which is completely unnecessary again. The last time I wore a Molle pack was 11 years ago and I never will wear one again and I wouldn't tie a knife to a pack anyway, it would be on my person.

You can also call Kabar Customer Service and order a 2225S, the sheath for the leather handled MK1. It only comes in a tan/brown, but you could easily dye it black. Would have to clean the finish off dso the dye will penetrate better, but that is easily done.

You can also call Kabar Customer Service and order a 2225S, the sheath for the leather handled MK1. It only comes in a tan/brown, but you could easily dye it black. Would have to clean the finish off dso the dye will penetrate better, but that is easily done.

I would get that sheath if there is nothing else I can find but its not exactly what I had it mind. However it is definitely better than the one I got.

I don't have any of the plastic sheaths for the MK1, but I assume from the description that it is just like the ones for the all black Kabar shorties.

I agree that the triple retention system is overkill, but I actually like it. If I am doing repetitive cutting that involves resheathing the knife between cuts (safety paranoid EMT here - I don't lay a knife down), the single lock feature works well.

If I am bouncing around on a tractor, a single strap adds backup security to avoid loss.

Since I EDC my shorties in public, the third strap, while unnecessary, prevents anyone from quickly removing the knife from me. And NO, I don't carry them for self defense. I have other resources for that.

And my last reason is that whether my shorties of the day are leather or kraton, combo or plain, drop point or tanto, the sheath is interchageable with all of them. If I dull one from use, I don't have to stop and sharpen it right then. I just trade it out and keep going, sharpening any dull ones later.

Any way you go though, the MK1 is a great choice.

I know this is a old post but I was wondering why the Ontario 499 sheath wasn't mentioned. My mk1 is like this and works fine.
B004NN3KF2

I agree with red9. Even though not a kabar sheath it is an improvement. The sheaths for the pilot survival knives work for the mk1 knives. With the metal reinforcement, and the sharpening stone. Pretty nice sheath.

Last edited:
Back