Who makes LionSteel's D2?

I'm not sure if it means anything, But lionsteel makes the HEST 2.0 for DPx gear and it is advertised as having German D-2.

I'm guessing it's from one of the Bohler-Uddeholm companies in various countries.

They buy Niolox steel from Lohmann, a German company http://www.lohmann-stahl.de , and Lohmann also produces D2. So it might be from them. Or not. As seelow123 said D2 is a common standart tool steel, produced by many companies

Is the D2 LionSteel uses Bohler K110(D2)?

Bohler K110 is a "D2 produced with Bohler's cross-rolling technology that produces a fine, uniform grained steel. The best D2 available for hand knifes."

D2 from Bohler
Niolox from Lohmann
Sleipner from Uddeholm

From what Achim Wirz (the blade steel expert at Lohmann) told me, the "cross rolling" means that you don't have to worry about which way you cut the blanks out of the sheet because you don't have the carbides running in one particular direction.
Is the D2 LionSteel uses Bohler K110(D2)?

Bohler K110 is a "D2 produced with Bohler's cross-rolling technology that produces a fine, uniform grained steel. The best D2 available for hand knifes."

From what Achim Wirz (the blade steel expert at Lohmann) told me, the "cross rolling" means that you don't have to worry about which way you cut the blanks out of the sheet because you don't have the carbides running in one particular direction.

Thank you.

From BOHLER-UDDEHOLM KNIFE STEELS FAQ:

Do you offer D2 and other tool steels?

Yes, we have Bohler K110, our name for D2. Stock in thicknesses from 3/32” to 3/16”.
The surface is hot rolled, but with minimal scale. The steel is very fine grained.

K110 is D2 produced with Bohler's cross-rolling technology that produces a fine, uniform grained steel. The best D2 available for hand knives.

BÖHLER K110 Data Sheet

Last edited:
Back