Who makes the best Kukuri?

This is an old thread, so now we have another option to add to the list...the RMJ Tactical Kukri.

I have several issues with threads like this. And let me be clear, they are my issues, not an issue with the poster or anyone posting. First and foremost is the fact that the word kukri is being used like the word knife, in a broad stroke that assumes there is only one type of Kukri. If someone posted saying, "who makes the best knife" you could only imagine the chaos that would follow, and justifiably so.

Predictably these threads are all over the place with some people talking about traditional models and then promoting their favorite and inevidably bad mouthing others. Then the modern kukri folks chime in and lastly others promoting models with little time on the market to prove themselves (that have strangely few followers.)

After going through lots of models by lots of makers I can say at this point I love almost all the kukri I have left. I have migrated to the practical "all arounder" type blade and am amazed how different some of the blades that do the same job are.

Some of my favorites for regular hard use are the Himilayan Imports (Bonecutter, ASTK, & Baby Ganga Ram), NKH Jungle, and CS Gurkha Kukri. What all of these different looking blades have in common is that they do most jobs very well, have no handle issues, don't require lots of edge attention and have stood up to the test of time. Several other models of Tora and HI I've used hard and have since been retired because of their rarity, and in the case of some of my circa 2010 Tora models, are some of the best I've ever handlesd and are irreplaceable.

For me there is really no way, and no real reason, to compare my CS to my Bonecutter. The CS Gurkha Kukri I consider a very reliable tool that I trust on an unemotional level, much the same as I reach for my Craftsman socket set before I fasten something heavy overhead. My Boncutter has been just as reliable but I use it with with consideration to temperature, moisture, acknowledgement of handle materials, etc. I also have more of an emotional attachment to it because it was hand made by a true master, something that has been amplified as I have handled dozens of blades made by "less than" masters.

For me, I find it hard to seriously consider a new manufacturer or model that just comes on the market that an ultra loyal forum follower is promoting. Especially when they make a broad stroke comment like the owner of one are jealous of another, or a new blade with almost no real users is now suddenly the best. Best at what? Is there field use to back it up? Have you had it long enough to use in it in all seasons, weather conditions, and on various materials? (Preferably farther away than a back yard review). Are there any relatively non-biased comparison videos? Have you owned it and used it for more than a few years and still favor it?

Over the years I've learned to steer clear of the posts that recommend a very expensive tactical kukri when some civilian is asking for a casual use affordable back yard blade. Similarly, if they wear their favorite Himalayan Imports t-shirt in a wedding photo and recommend a CAK in 30 different posts I tend to take it with a grain of salt. Sometimes it's nice when your knife snob friends come over and you are able to pull out a pristine Blackjack Reinhardt Combat kukri. Other times, like when a tree is blocking the trail and the closest turnaround is over a mile back, it's nice to have a cheap, bland, common but well made Jungle kukri to get you out of a bind. They "can" all be different and all be special.

Reactions: vab
This is an old thread, so now we have another option to add to the list...the RMJ Tactical Kukri.

I will get one of the RMJ Kukri eventually. Several other RMJ I Want first like the Pathfinder and Berserker.

As far as Kukri Go, the only one I have is a Busse Killa Zilla II. That thing is a beast. I take it with me when riding trails with my Kawasaki Mule XC. I have used it to clear trails when trees fall down on them or low hanging branches. It cuts like a lightsaber. Can’t say enough about it. $$icy though, but like like any of our toys on here, they don’t come cheap. If you want quality, you pay for it. And I am fine spending $$ on something good.

I have khukuris from Becker/KaBar, CS, and HI. So far, I would rank them in that order. I greatly prefer non-traditional handles, as wood and bone tend to split badly here in Colorado. I think that attention to detail is somewhat lacking in the HI models (I have 5). The brass buttcap tends to be proud of the handle and cut my hand when I swing it, uneven grinds, etc. The modern metallurgy of the others really shines when optimizing for weight and balance, IMO.

I know this stinks on a new one but I sanded my butt cap on my HI (blem so much, much cheaper) and made it flush with the handle. It helped a ton. Went from blisters to comfortable. Now I just need to figure out if I want to thin the handle down as it's pretty blocky, like some of the OKC Rat knives.

Is it the Rinehardt you have and like? I have the BK4 which is on the short side for what the OP is asking for, I think, but is a pretty great all-around design. It's just smaller than one might think and thus less choppy than you might expect. Chops really well for it's weight. I've found a touch of athletic tape adds just enough grip to the plastic becker handles to make it perfect for me. I worry a little about the tape holding sweat and thus corrosion but we'll see. That's something I've seen on many older bicycle handlebars that still had steel instead of the newer extruded aluminum.

I guess if we're necromancing this thread :eek:, I'll muddy the waters further...

Busse makes a few pretty BA Khukris... :cool: :thumbsup:

Not that I question Busse's craftmanship, how do the huck fins chop? They are probably the sexiest blades I've ever seen and if I get a nice break or bonus at some point, and can hide it from some other people in my house, I will be on the lookout for one.

Honestly, I think my biggest complaint about HI kuks is the handles aren't great. If they had a busse or becker comfortable handle and the same blade, I would be all set.

Is it the Rinehardt you have and like? I have the BK4 which is on the short side for what the OP is asking for, I think, but is a pretty great all-around design. It's just smaller than one might think and thus less choppy than you might expect. Chops really well for it's weight. I've found a touch of athletic tape adds just enough grip to the plastic becker handles to make it perfect for me. I worry a little about the tape holding sweat and thus corrosion but we'll see. That's something I've seen on many older bicycle handlebars that still had steel instead of the newer extruded aluminum.

Yes, and it's getting harder to find. I realize a lot of this is personal preference, hand size can dictate whether one model is comfortable or not. I've always liked the looks of Bill Siegle's knives, and hope one day to try one of his.

Back