Who Makes The Ceramic Parts?

I just saw the thread asking if Gatco uses Spyderco ceramic components in their sharpeners, this brought to mind something that I've wondered.

Does Spyderco manufacture it's own ceramic parts, or does another famous Golden Colorado company, who during Prohibition, decided there might be more to ceramics then just capping beer bottles, make the parts?

------------------
LD
"Every Dog Has His Day"

LuckyDog,

I too understand that Coors makes the ceramics. Well at least the big 8" ceramic bench stones
smile.gif
!!!

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

I did NOT escape from the institution! They gave me a day pass!

BFC member since 3 Oct 98
AKTI membership pending
VHA and NRA member

I wasn't sure if Spyderco manufactured ceramics, and thought that would be asking a lot from a knife company. I work in an electronics laboratory, and years ago did a lot of ceramic machining. I was surprised to find that at that time (20 years ago) most of our ceramic stock came from Coors. I found the story I know, about Coors diversifying during the Prohibition into ceramics interesting. I put Golden + Golden together and thought maybe Spyderco and Coors have a relationship.

beam, I never heard of that one, but maybe your right I was only speculating. Maybe Sal if it's not a business secret can fill us in.

------------------
LD
"Every Dog Has His Day"

There are a fairly large number of Industrial Ceramic manufactuers. More than 50 in the US, more than that worldwide. Each have their own "secrets".

We've worked with a variety of them, although we have a pretty good 20 year relationship with The Golden Ceramic Company.

Colordo Ceramic Abrasives is a distributor of ceramic abrasives. They do not manufacture.

sal

Sal, is The Golden Ceramic Company affiliated with Coors?

------------------
LD
"Every Dog Has His Day"

Back