Who makes the toughest Ti mug?

All right gear hounds; I know there's at least one of us here who's tried more than one brand. I have a Snow*Peak 24 oz one that is light (+), has a cool lid that works as a pasta strainer as well (+); but it's diameter is a tad wider than my GSI SS mug and rattles around my water bottle (-) and when I pulled it out of my day pack today, (I tuck my Etowah tarp in it) it was slightly crushed (-) :( . I was able to carefully get it back into @ 98% true but still...

Is there one out there that comes in a thicker gauge? The Google wasn't very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the toughest, but I have had good luck with the Stoic brand 700ml pot and the Toaks mug. Each, at least with my use so far, appear to be extremely durable and well made, and in addition, they come with nice mesh bags to store them in. As an additional bonus, they come in at a very affordable price in comparison with many of the other titanium options available.

snowpeak makes some double-walled versions [i.e. vacuum type] - might be a lot stiffer. the double walled version would be a lot more enjoyable for hot liquids too.

I don't know about the toughest, but I have had good luck with the Stoic brand 700ml pot and the Toaks mug. Each, at least with my use so far, appear to be extremely durable and well made, and in addition, they come with nice mesh bags to store them in. As an additional bonus, they come in at a very affordable price in comparison with many of the other titanium options available.

Yeah I was looking at those on the 'zon. Thanks!

redpoint said:
snowpeak makes some double-walled versions [i.e. vacuum type] - might be a lot stiffer. the double walled version would be a lot more enjoyable for hot liquids too.

Right on both counts but I can't cook with a double wall. Thanks!

I only have one, and have only ever had one. So, I am absolutely no help in comparing one against another :)

But, I do have a vargo and I like it.

So much for help, eh? :)

B

The usual question is, "Who makes the lightest titanium cup." You question is almost the opposite.

"Toughest" = thickest = heaviest. You just need to know the specs for the cup.

If you know the height and diameter of a given cup, it would be easy enough to figure out the surface area. Take the surface area and divide it by the weight. The heaviest cup per square inch of surface area should be the thickest and toughest. The weight of the handles between various cups might make affect your calculations a bit.

OR, you could just pack more carefully or creatively. If you're using a Nalgene bottle, you could wrap (always useful) duct tape around it so your ti cup fits tighter.

The usual question is, "Who makes the lightest titanium cup." You question is almost the opposite.

"Toughest" = thickest = heaviest. You just need to know the specs for the cup.

If you know the height and diameter of a given cup, it would be easy enough to figure out the surface area. Take the surface area and divide it by the weight. The heaviest cup per square inch of surface area should be the thickest and toughest. The weight of the handles between various cups might make affect your calculations a bit.

OR, you could just pack more carefully or creatively. If you're using a Nalgene bottle, you could wrap (always useful) duct tape around it so your ti cup fits tighter.

Yeah, frustratingly most sites/brands don't include the gauge info like they do with SS bottles and cups.

...and you're too right on the latter point. I had the cup around my tarp in a HPG Tarahumara pack which has compression straps that work very well. :eek:

Back