Who uses Viele as favorite daily work/carry knife?

I've read the thread on Viele or Khalsa, but I'd like to know if there is anyone whose favorite (or one of) daily knife is the Viele, and the various tasks they've used it for. I've handled a couple and they feel great, but I'd like to hear more about how they hold up to daily (sometimes even heavy) use, which version used (serrated or plain), and how the lock holds up and if the blade remains centered in the handle, how well the handle itself holds up, care, etc., etc.
If I do get one, it would definitely be a plain edge one. Oh, and BTW, where to find the best price?
Jim

Jim,

My Viele is one of my daily carry knives. It was given to me by a friend who was disappointed with it but it is a knife I really enjoy carrying. I love the solid feel and heft in the hand, it is much heavier and thicker than my other daily carry, the Wegner Jr. (Kysa, these 2 must stay
smile.gif
). I usually carry it when I'm "dressed up" (wearing my best jeans) but it does go to work sometimes for a change, where ever it goes the design and finish attract attention. The lock-up is rock solid, with the liner centred on the blade tang and it balances right where the index finger sits in the liner recess. Due to the nature of my work it doesn't get much heavy use, usually just sharpening pencils, peeling fruit etc. but there have been times when I was grateful for the very fine point. I have often wondered whether Spyderco chose AUS8 for this knife because they were worried that a point this fine would be too brittle in ATS34, Sal or Vince???

A couple of minor gripes. I don't find IWB carry to be very comfortable, partly due to the thickness of the knife and also the cut-away scale seems to make the top edge of the knife dig in (maybe I need to lose some weight). Also the combination of the small hole and the thick scale do make opening more difficult, but it gets easier with pratice
smile.gif

BTW mine is plain edge. I think the blade shape looks much nicer without serrations. As always YMMV.

------------------
Take care,
Clay

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance." Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Clay Kesting (edited 30 May 1999).]

Hi James,
Well, I use the Viele serrated model and overall I'm pretty happy with it. I find the lock up very solid. There is no blade play and the blade rests in the middle between the liners. 3 requirements for me in a folder.

I had the plain but traded it for the serrations. I think either is a good choice and I know most folks like plain edges, but I'm a fan of Spyderco serrations and I have been in several situations that serrations did a better job, like rope cutting. I live by the ocean and it seems I'm always cutting line so to me a serrated model is just fine for me.

The action is nice. The hole is somewhat small but that doesn't really affect its opening ability. I love the look of the knife, it's the right size to carry at work and it resharpens easily probably because it is AUS8. I did notice a slight micro chip on the point with mine and Clay's comment about the point is well taken. I'm not sure how it got there.

I don't carry it every day but I have complete confidence in it when I do carry it. For a liner lock it has my full trust whic I will not say about every liner.

Good luck.

------------------
~Greg~

[This message has been edited by Kodiak PA (edited 30 May 1999).]

James
I carried a plain edge Viele for about a year everyday.I love this knife,It performed well as a work knife.I used it to cut anything cuttable on the jobsite.I still have it and it locks up like new and has zero blade wobble.Its a pretty tough knife.It also has a very impressive detent ball.One of the best I've seen.
scott w

I've got a LW Goddard that I wear out in the garden, expecting heavy cutting. And this carbon fiber Dragonfly I'm trying to love sitting on the desk.
Butt when its time to go to town, or company is coming, and neatness counts, then its the Viele, hands down. I have not used it hard, just normal straps, packages, boxes, around the house. Butt I did take it camping and cleaned some trout and it worked great, also steaks from the barbie. (plain edge)
Its a very tactile (as opposed to tactical) knife. I use it instead of cigarettes now for those thinking breaks. I have gotten pretty good at using my thumbnail instead of the fleshy part to flick the blade open. Very fast, and the lockup is still registered on the same spot as when I got it.
I guess they can discontinue it if they want, it will make my two that much more valuable and I don't think I will be able to wear them out in my lifetime.

------------------
><CHINOOK*>
--
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult

Chinook,

Its a very tactile (as opposed to tactical) knife.

I wish I'd said that. Sums up the way I feel about the knife exactly. I like the way the hard edge of the exposed liner contrasts with the curve of the micarta scale, also the subtle finger grooves in the rear scale and the downward curve of the handle at the butt. All very sensual, this is a knife to fondle
biggrin.gif

------------------
Take care,
Clay

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance." Anonymous

oh yeah......
I did use it pretty hard yesterday afternoon.

I had to chip off some ice for my toddy from a block in the ice chest in the back yard (too far to walk to the frig)

I found that the only way to index this knife for a downward stab is to turn the knife around with blade facing away. With my thumb on top of the handle it feels pretty secure. As secure as any without a guard.

The linerlock and extremely sharp point held up, course I didn't do my Psycho shower scene imitation, complete with maniacal laugh, on the ice.

I really appreciate the responses...thanx, everyone! I really hope they DON'T discontinue the Viele...are they??? Then I'd REALLY have to get one...like, SOON!! I think it's definitely one of the most beautiful knives I've seen, and though I'd put it off my wish list for a while, it's back on...dang it, Spyderco! Can't you give me a break and stop producing so MANY excellent knives?
smile.gif
Just kidding.
It sounds like the quality control is the usual top-notch stuff. I'm VERY careful when approaching buying higher-end linerlocks, as I've had one expensive bad experience (AFCK) which had a chronic problem in the pivot area, even after servicing. Any knife model can have a few bad apples, of course, but IMO the fewer bad apples in the lot, the more i want one.
This sounds like a real winner.
Jim

James, It is a winner. Stop by the shop & check one out. I may not be able to beat the web prices, but at least you'll be able to handle the knife and see if its really what you want. You know the hours.

Dennis

------------------
Isn't it amazing how 2 cents worth of opinion takes up a quarter's worth of paper???

Please excuse the crayon. They won't let us have anything sharp in here.
wrightknife@ixpres.com

I guess they can discontinue it if they want...

Why is it that every stinkin' time I hear someone talkin' about one of Spyderco's greatest knives, they talk about it being discontinued, practically in the same sentence?!
frown.gif
Well, almost all the knives except any ltwt, and the Mil.

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

Well, O_D
I did say in another post that the Viele was my favorite Spyderco, and backed that up by buying two of them.
smile.gif

It would be sad to see it go, butt then I was sad when VHS beat out Betamax. Now there is DVD.
I trust Spyderco to come up with new classics.
smile.gif
(butt I'll hang on to these)

------------------
><CHINOOK*>
--
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult

Chinook,

My post was not-at-all aimed at you, and contrary to how it sounded, I didn't intend it to be a slam on anyone. It's just that, like I said, it seems that the ones most liked keep being discontinued. Meanwhile, more and more are showing up as ltwts. Now, that can be good. I have the Native and Endura in the zytel, and they seem to be holding up well. But, sometimes, you just want something more than the cheap user. I'm trying to work myself that way. Have looked at the Calypso Jr BMic (being discontinued, apparently SS is staying at least), the Standard in G10 (rumored to be discontinued), the SS Native (just found out today that they are not discontinued, just in limited supply). So anyway, that was my whine.
frown.gif
I guess i was in a pi**y mood yesterday. Sorry...

------------------
Outlaw_Dogboy

O_D - finding the balance between the "general" knife using market and the "Collector" market is difficult at best.
sal

I have a Viele and had carried it constantly for a few months. I like the knife - looks cool but just wasn't for me as an everyday "using" knife. Seemed like I was always "choking" up on the grip of the knife and getting into the blade with my fingers - no transition to feel between handle and blade.

Sal,
I hope you read between the lines that the reason I whine is that so dang many of your knives need to be bought by me
frown.gif
redface.gif
wink.gif
(and I'm not even going to mention that concept<?> that Sing is planning on talking you out of at the Blade Show; I NEED ONE OF THOSE!)

------------------
Outlaw_Dogboy

Well, I got a chance to examine yesterday at Dennis' store and I love the plainedge version. What's more, the blade is almost flush with the liners at the pivot area, meaning no matter how far over the liner might work itself, the blade will still lock up tight and the knife still be closed easily.
Now the hard part starts: Saving up for it!
redface.gif
Jim
wink.gif

I'll probably get my butt chewed by sales staff, but it looks like the Viele will be staying in the Y2K line up. Please don't panic.
sal

The plain edge Viele is my first Spyderco. Used to be my daily carry for months. The Viele has a great blade and PANACHE. Still, the Native replace it as my daily carry. Primarily because the Native has a surer grip, giving it more than "utility" functions/possibilities.

Still like the Viele and take it out every so often when I want to carry a "classier" looking knife. Viele definitely stays in my collection.

sing

Back