Who was the most famous prostitute of the old west?

Im always amazed at how much you guys know about any subject. Thanks for the great leads and suggestions. I still wonder which painted lady would carry a fancy little pistol. This one will store away in a porceleon and silver jewelry box with fine satin lining. She had to have been very successful and beautiful. Im thinking about having her portrait color scrimmed on the ivory grips. Probally not nude but just slightly revealing.

Did you guys know there was a river boat named the "Idahoe"? And yes it DID in fact transport prostitutes for soldiers... I saw that on the History Channel.. I thought that was a very funny fact especially the way they spelled it... ;)

Chuck, you are absolutely right, it was survival any way folks could, in those days. They all could not be laundry ladies in those days. Most people didn't even wash themselves. You had to earn or starve. Historians are noted for placing their opinions in print, rather than just facts. Bruce, good idea on the scrim and design. Semi nekkid wimmen!

I would posit that it is ideal business: the product is in high demand, it is imminently portable, doesn't wear out, and your income is limited only by your desire to work laying down! :D

I have seen a lot of commerative knives, but never one for the ladies of the nght. Some letter openers that were rather suggestive, but never a dedicated commerative. Are we missing an opportunity?

Bruce - here's a thought (dangerous I know ;) - why not do it as a commerative to the "Soiled Doves" in general rather than to one in particular - it would give you more freedom in so far as pictures to scrim, etc. There are actually many images out there that are in decollete' - suggestive but still PG :D. If you get a good response on the piece then you could always start going down the roster.....

knife must be small and light enough to be held down by flimsy stocking on one's thigh?

This is a 19th century ladies' garter dagger.
VictorianDirkWusthorf.jpg

n2s

indian george said:
OK!!! I was her Grandmother, Thier last name is Charbonneau and she was with the Lewis and Clark expedition. :eek: :eek:

I knew it IG I knew it :D that's where the fish net stockings came from right :footinmou :D

Don't know if she has been mentioned yet AND I hate to say it out right. I mean I do hold her fondly. She was Mathew's women after all. But, it seems to me Miss Kitty was the longest running slut house operator in all of history - West or elsewhere. :confused: :eek: :) :eek: :D :D

Hmmm.. Alot to consider. I like the idea of Chucks about a commemerative knive/gun but I wanted to be more personal and put the ladies name on it. Miss Kitty does sound good, Matt Dillon always hung with her. I dont think Big Nose Kates nose would fit on the handle. Miss Lily is what I always had in mind but I think she was judge Roy Beans love of his life and wasnt a whore but a pretty British actress. What do you guys know about Miss Lily?

Her full name was Lily Langtry - http://www.lillielangtry.com/
She was a celebrated beauty and actress 1853 - 1927 who took her beloved nickname from the Channel Island of Jersey, where she was born,
pp7174.gif

Now to set the record straight - Miss Kitty and other dance hall girls were NOT necessarily prostitutes - Hollywood usually portrays them as such (but we all know how historically correct H/Wood is :( ) and at time the line was blurred, but they were not strictly one and the same, so please ya'll quit making that mistake or the marshall may be coming to see ya! :rolleyes:

Lily Langtry was an English stage actress of wide reknown in the 19th century. Judge Roy Bean named Langtry, Texas for her, which was where his saloon the Jersey Lily was. He was a self proclaimed judge "Law West of the Pecos" and never met Miss Langtry. His was a classic case of unrequited love for a star, and he might have been a stalker today.

Miss Kitty was far above performing such duties herself. To the casual fan it is a fair assumption however that she ran a whore house. Abviously the most succesful in Dodge.

Mathew would give me a chance to run. Its Festus I worry about.

Of course I am only having fun with this and wouldn't think she should be used for this project. She may well deserve consideration for a Bruce Bump encore though.

RL

Roger that gives me an idea! How about Miss Kitty on one side and Matt and Festus on the other. I always liked that western.

Might work. I hate to, from only jesting, sway you from your original concept. While we are at it though, you might consider Mat and Miss Kitty on one side and Doc and Festus on the other. Except for the bar tender (what's his name anyhow?) you would have all major components and also they would be shown together as they were most closely associated.

RL

Surely there could be no greater heroine to be considered than the Yellow Rose of Texas. Emily West Morgan was the "Yellow Rose of Texas". "Rose" was a euphemism for prostitute. "Yellow" referred to her being a "high yellow" mulatto.

She was widely reknown throughout the land for her great beauty. By some accounts she was contacted by Santa Ana and by others she was captured. She arranged a rendezvous with Generalissimo Santa Ana (also the President of Mexico) at San Jacinto and advised Sam Houston of the time and place to attack, as the Mexican Army would be enjoying a long lazy afternoon siesta. As a consequence Santa Ana was caught with his pants down.

It was not as much through the efforts and deaths of the men at the Alamo that Texas won its independence, but rather through the wiles and seductions of the "Yellow Rose of Texas".

http://www.wintertexans.com/yellowrose.htm

RL - The Bartenders name was Sam. What a great run of shows, stories with plots and just wow stuff. I can still hear Miss Kitty "Set up another round Sam".

Heck, I'm just gonna throw out my set of encyclopedias and spend more time here on the Forum, :)

Back