Whoa! Stand Back!

:D :D :D

Yesterday I went to Walmart and bought a $15 palm sander, made my Micarta plate, put some sand paper on that baby, squirted some Cool Tool II on it and fired the sucker up... Whoa!

Wear an apron if you value your tshirt. :D Then I put the buzzing monster against my beautiful fileworked and hardened blade and zing! it went flying off in every direction... Whoa!

So I turned it off, let my heart return to normal speed, set it firmly on the blade and turned it on... Ah, much better.

Before long I was confidently sanding away, moving in on my plunges (this is the first knife where I made an attempt to round them off rather than allow the square step from the ricasso), moving out along the tip... Worked from 220 through 400, 600 and finally 1500. The whole process took about 40 minutes for a 7 inch blade. (Keep in mind I had to figure out things like Just use a quarter sheet to start with, and Read the directions on how to attach the sheet... :rolleyes: )

Then I used a small sanding block backed with some latigo tanned leather and with dry 1500 stroked the twirlies out... Ah, beautiful, just beautiful. This is without doubt the best finish I've gotten so far and with less time and expense than any other way I've ever done.

Bless Bruce Evans and Alex Daniels!

Dave

That sounds great! I know what I'm going to be shopping for soon!

(I have some 3/8" micarta, will that work? I should look up Bruce's post again.) Thanks for reminding me about that Dave!

I had a palm sander. I didn't have extra Micarta I used a piece of plexi that I use for models (from a sign makers dumpster) and it works fine. When I use it next I'm going to radius the sides to get in the curves.
Cheapely, Lynn

Man at first I thought you was going to say you hurt yourself with the sander:D
Glad it worked for you also.But we all ne to thank David Winston for showing me this trick and then who ever showed him and so on.I was just passing the idea along as I thought it was a cool one myself...
Happy sanding everybody.
Heck if you think it saves time on a Bowie you should see how fast it will finish out a folder sized blade;)
Bruce

Back