Who's comparable to Qeen/ S&M?

cpirtle

Leathercrafter
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Just picked up a Queen D2 Stag Canoe and one of the 2003 S&M XIII Barlow's and I'm really impressed, more so than with any other mass production slippie I've owned. (which is not a ton but a nice selection...)

So who else can compete with Queen from a fit and finish standpoint?

Just my humble opinion but no one! They are far and away the best production slipjoints I have bought, though if anyone has other opinions I would like to hear them and check them out!

I have a Queen cocobolo whittler which is somewhat disappointing in the F&F department, but I wholeheartedly agree that the S & M line is excellent. May I suggest you seek out another Queen line (now discontinued but still available) - the resurrected Robeson. Beautiful, great F & F, and produced for a time with ATS 34. I often have a (Queen) Robeson muskrat in my pocket (my 10 year old daughter picked it out from among 100's of miscellaneous knives on display drawn by the eye-catching cranberry bone handles).

Winchester comes to mind. The ones made in the US by Queen under license from Winchester by Bluegrass.

Try Mooremaker
I've got several.
Good selection of natural handle materials, excellent fit and finish, many styles to choose from, high C steel that gets wicked sharp and is easy to sharpen.
Here's the one I carry daily.
Lenny

mooremaker.jpg

Thanks guys.

I was reading some other threads and saw that the AG Russell Cattagarus Rope knife was very well thought of, so I ordered one.

Also have some other S&M's coming - XIII Mountain Man, Stag/D2 Dr's knife and a Stag/D2 Trapper.

Just for kicks I ordered a Remington Millenium Baby Bullet to see how it ranks... Remington's have always looking nice to me but the cheaper ones I have owned left a lot to be desired.

Always been wanting to try a Mooremaker but never got around to it..

I also have one of those Robeson muskrats with the strawberry bone scales...very nice! Queen makes the best quality production slip joints I've owned. (BTW...Mooremaker is a company in Texas that sells farm tools...Queen makes some knives for them and MM puts their name on 'em.)

(Cranberry? Where'd I get that). Say, I checked the link to Mooremaker and the Roper looks like an interesting knife, particularly with a carbon steel blade. Anyone familiar with it?

Back