1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Who's excited for #47 Viper?!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by wundergussy, Feb 1, 2014.

1. wundergussy

wundergussy Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2013
    Looks like a single-blade swayback from the current production photos... I am gonna jump on this as soon as it exists!

2. kdstrick

kdstrick Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2007
    I like the lines. It looks like a very nice knife. The single backspring will make it plenty thin and lightweight.

3. arizonaranchman

arizonaranchman

Jan 1, 2012
    I like the single Wharnie blade. Super slim too :)

4. roseskunk

roseskunk

Nov 2, 2008
    Yup. might get two, one for me, one for a pal.

5. johnwobble

johnwobble

Aug 3, 2013
    I think this one in Blackwood will be the next buy.

6. wundergussy

wundergussy Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2013
    If I can swing the money, I'd love to get an ebony or blackwood AND an ivory.

7. fatcorgi

fatcorgi

Nov 12, 2011
    I hope a dissenting voice is okay in this thread :) I'll wait to see what it looks like finished - if it has curved or flat bolsters, barehead or not...To me the aesthetic of the knife frame outline looks a little stiff. By which I mean the curves in the design just aren't as rounded as I imagined, in comparison to the case sbj. But I do like the wharncliffe on my #74, so I'm sure it will be a fine knife.

8. Old & In The Way

Old & In The Way Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I pre-ordered a 47 in african blackwood the other day. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

9. okbohn

okbohn Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

May 26, 2006
    I can't wait. It is one of those patterns that has always sung to me.

10. sunandsteel

sunandsteel

Oct 23, 2013
    GEC updated the Viper gallery. It's coming along step by step and I'm liking that blade shape along with the handle.

11. rockgolfer

rockgolfer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Thank you GEC for making it bare ended :)

Its gonna be hard for me to not get one of these. Brother to my hayn helper and the bigger cousin of my 55. I hope this sucker is super slim. Cant wait to see the finish pics roll out.

Now my only wish.....surprise us with a rat tail bolster on the northfield :thumbup:

12. clutchcarter

clutchcarter Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 11, 2011
    The "in hand" shots show it's size very well, it's larger than I thought it would be. I was on the fence till now, gotta have one!

13. rockgolfer

Mar 1, 2008
    Same frame as the hayn helper. The 55 is 3.5 and the alox farmer will help give reference to the size.

[​IMG]

14. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    If it's Barehead, yes. If not, no thanks.

Would be nice if it had semi-sunk joints like CASE's SBJ. Makes it much more pocket friendly.

15. rockgolfer

Mar 1, 2008
    From GEC's site

[​IMG]

Looking a little closer, that bolster doesnt look very thick at all :D

16. sunandsteel

sunandsteel

Oct 23, 2013
    What's a barehead?

17. sunandsteel

sunandsteel

Oct 23, 2013
    It's going to slide in and out of my pocket very nicely. :D

18. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Barehead means that it does not have a bolster opposite the hinges. Most Barlows are a barehead design. The Case Swayback Jack is a barehead pattern.

19. Terdl76

Terdl76

Apr 6, 2013
    Correct, barehead has no "rear" bolster. Although Case does make quite a few swaybacks with rear bolsters.

20. puukkoman

puukkoman

Sep 30, 2004
    I don't usually plan to buy a new release as soon as it comes out, but I will definitely be getting one of these. Not sure about what handle covers I'll pick, but I'm sure something will appeal.