Who's stripped their Skellys?

I just got one and I'm highly tempted. I really really like a naked Busse blade. (Heck, I'll have a hard time keeping a coat on the INFI-Scrapper(s).)

I thought someone had stripped theirs. What's it look like under there? Smooth or full'a'INFI-measels?

I just got one and I'm highly tempted. I really really like a naked Busse blade. (Heck, I'll have a hard time keeping a coat on the INFI-Scrapper(s).)

I thought someone had stripped theirs. What's it look like under there? Smooth or full'a'INFI-measels?

I haven't yet, but plan on at least 2... one has a grain of INFI stuck to the coating, and I dropped one, leaving a smooting on the coat... 2 instant volunteers!!:thumbup: LOL As soon as I move into my new home, I plan on it. There was a thread that had pix... looks like a bad Warden frame. :)
J

I did one awhile back, check out this thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436494&highlight=stripped

dscn2637ue0.jpg

I'm going to strip one and get a kydex neck sheath made, with an optional small Tek-Lok for belt carry.

Cool, even the Busse Logo stayed.
I think this is a big advantage of paint stipper over beat blasting:thumbup:

How resistant would it be to rust stripped? The coating must be in there for a reason!

No more or less than any other non-coated Busse blade. Basically the rust-resistance of about D2. I used to worry too. But honestly, I can't say I've ever rusted a blade of any steel thus far.

(OK, my dad beat on the blade of my Swiss Army knockoff 35 years ago opening clams for him and my uncles. But that was heavy salt and not cleaned - I didn't know about knifesteel and rust/staining at the time.)

I baby my knives too much to worry about rust at this point. And that needs to change. LOL

How resistant would it be to rust stripped? The coating must be in there for a reason!

Dennis addressed this, but I will chime in too. Rust is absolutely not an issue if you follow even rudimentary precautions. Keep the blade clean and dry and you'll never cry (couldn't resist). Seriously, I own only naked INFI (with a Ruck on the way as my only coated blade) and none of them has ever misbehaved. The coating does, however, cover a rough finish. It won't be as pretty as a factory satin or double cut.

Rick - likes them naked

Yes, the inside is what I was worried about also as to what the finish would be. Guess work has to be done to make nice. Just how bad is the inside of a a coated Busse? How much work to be presentable ?

That was my original question/issue. It looks from Ducci's pic that hte blade is fine but the handle is pockmarked. I don't think that's a big deal to me. But I was hoping someone else had done it to confirm that assumption.

Pockmarked??? :confused:

Those are INFI dimples, my friend. :D

I actually thing they serve a good purpose on a stripped blade if you do some basic maintenance. If you regularly wipe the blade down with oil or CLP or Tuff-Glide, those little dimples help hold the lubricant/cleaner.

I have some Express grade Remingtons with that same rough "parkerized" (according to Remington anyway) finish, and I like how the finish holds CLP.

Back