Why a stockman pattern these days?

Hi all,
Why do so many companies still make the three bladed stockman's knife, now days? There aren't that many cowboys left to castrate the cattle, etc.
It still seems popular, though. For years, I carried one, not knowing what it was intended for. The three blades were handy, I must say.
Any comments?
Curious is the Ol' Professor!
Thanks.
Best,
Prof. Ed

Here is my take and it goes along with the three blades you mentioned.
Beyond the utility of three of them, there is something appealing about 3 of them in a small package.

When I look at a stockman or 3 blade whittler with all three blades closed, (especially a well made one) I always am amazed at how they all are nestled in there swedged out and not touching each other. Adding to that are the blades designed so you can get to each of the nicks. Springs that tension the blades just right when you open and close them in a robust (especially for the stockman) overall package and it is still a "cool" knife even to this day (at least to a lot of us).

sniff, sniff, Bastid those are beautiful words! An ode to a stockman :D
I think the stockman is as poular today as it was with the cowboys of yesterday for one reason - it works, well. A stockman can handle whatever you throw at it!

The stockman is a result of evolution, from the old Roman clasp knives with no springs to the modern "tacticals", there are milestones, designs that are so good that they have taken over older ones and survived past later ones, I could mention the Opinel friction folders, the SAKs, and of course the stockman.

The single blade locking one hand openers are now defining themselves, not clear yet which lock systems will survive, which opening styles will stay, stud or hole, liner lock or lockback, modern knives are still finding themselves, some are becoming classics, others will dissapear.

The stockman evolved from cattle knives, which themselves were improvements over older jack knives, many great features were taken from this knives, the materials, steel, bone, nickel silver, the putting together of springs, scales, bolsters and blades in just the right way to get a knife that Walks and Talks, and Works.

The stockman gets together a fine combination of blades, the utilitarian sheepfoot, strong and easy to sharpen, the long slender clip for slicing, the spey, thin and tempered hard to hold an edge for its intended use, even in modern urban life the spey complements the other two blades well, the belly does a few good things that the long clip and the straight sheep foot can´t, the belly does push cuts at varied angles, the belly Rocks and Rolls.

The stockman gets its soul from the hand of its maker, filing the tangs, setting the crinch, aligning the springs, pinning the scales, polishing, sharpening, putting it all together requires a talented and loving caftsman, someone who leaves part of himself in his work.

The stockman has been going strong for over a hundred years and will be here for many more.

Edited in an attemp to correct some spelling and grammar.

Don,
That was an excellent monograph you wrote on the "stockman" which I just happened to purchase last night.
Are you an educator like the Ol' Prof. was for "31" years?
Best,
Prof. Ed

A teacher I can be, an educator I am not, I learned this after 3 years of teaching high school math in the mid 70´s.

A knife aficionado and stockman fan I am definitly, having carryied a stockman as EDC for over 40 years.

About my comments on the stockman, I just let some feelings get out, I know my English is far from perfect but hope I got the ideas through.

>"A stockman can handle whatever you throw at it!"

=============================

Like opening a can of beans? A bottle of beer? Wine? Guys, I like the stockman just fine but sometimes folks around these parts get a little carried away in their devotion to 'em, IMHO. Oh well, if you can't get carried away about your favorite knife here, where can you?
:)

Yes mnblade, and It´s so easy (and often so much fun) to get carried away.

It would be nice to have a tool to handle everything, but since there isn´t one, I also carry SAK, leatherman, LED flashlight, whistle, lighter, magnifyer, rubberbands, bandaids, compass, pen, pencil, duct tape, cord, harmonica ...

Originally posted by Don Luis
It would be nice to have a tool to handle everything, but since there isn´t one, I also carry SAK, leatherman, LED flashlight, whistle, lighter, magnifyer, rubberbands, bandaids, compass, pen, pencil, duct tape, cord, harmonica ...

It sounds like your SAK is too small. I think I have a Victorinox around here somewhere with all of those features....... except maybe the harmonica. Only Wenger makes the harmonica SAK. Hehehehehe :eek:

But I don´t like fat SAKs. perhaps I can epoxy a small stockman on one side of my harmonica, on the other side a whistle on one end and a keychain led light on the other, make me a case for it with a compartment for other stuff covered with duct tape and put some rubber bands around it ...

And I´ll be looking for a Wenger in B-flat :D

I love and carry my Case 3-blade squared end medium stockman everywhere and think the stockman style has kept up with the times and is timeless. :cool:

Just my opinion.:D

Besides having 3 blades in a compact package a stockman is totally non-threatening in appearance. In my regular job people some times freak out when you pull out your tactical folder. People really do not seem to notice a stockman or a trapper mainly because of the traditional looks.

Even the SAK has gotten me some oddball comments ranging from, "Did you not spend enough time in the Boy Scouts?" to "Why do you need one with so much stuff on it?"

I go into a lot of retirement homes and the older people if they see stockman will talk to you. I have learned quite a bit about knives that way.

Originally posted by Don Luis
...I also carry SAK, leatherman, LED flashlight, whistle, lighter, magnifyer, rubberbands, bandaids, compass, pen, pencil, duct tape, cord, harmonica ...

It is nice to know I'm not alone in the amount of gear I carry everyday.

You are not alone.....

EDC.JPG

roloss_valdes

Originally posted by roloss_valdes
You are not alone.....

Totally cool. Hey, you've got a PDA. I may be in the market for one. What make and model do you have? Can you recommend it?

I started collecting referee whistles while in junior high in the 60´s, I have a whole bunch of Acme thunderers in different sizes, in my opinion these were the very best until Fox came out with the three cavity pealess, I now have several from Fox, classics, minis and pearls. I also have quite a few Acme tornadoes, Acme´s answer to Fox, and I like them very much.

It´s hard to say which is better, I usually carry the tornadoes because they are flat, my favorite is an Acme tornado 2000 with the sides filed down. I still like the old thunderers because they can "talk" better, that is, you have a greater variety of expression since you can blow soft or hard, etc.

I also have other whistles including non-referre; Storms (great when size doesn´t matter), Acme two tone tubulars in three sizes, rescue whistles, and a couple of bosun pipes (these are very cute once you learn to change tones, do thrills, etc.).

This thread is going from stockman to miscellaneous.

Back