Why buy expensive knives?

Ditto on all counts. Spydie99, you sound like a great kid: you work and save, you're responsible, your postings here are thoughtful and respectful (more than we can say for some members 3x your age), and at 13 you actually have reasonable and respectful conversations with your father about spending and dating and all manner of things. I didn't 'absorb' all of those lessons until much later, and my father might argue I still haven't. As a father of two now, I can only hope my kids are like you when they reach your age! The fact that you've come to appreciate Spyderco over Benchmade at 13 speaks to a level of 'knife maturity' that I didn't reach till my mid-30s, and that some others here will never, ever achieve. :)

But to pick up on Marcinek's last suggestion: this might well be something you already know but the difference isn't just between bad, less expensive knives and good, more expensive ones. Obviously you know there are plenty of crappy, pricey knives; but there are also really good inexpensive ones. If you haven't already done so, for $40 you can pick up a Vic Alox SAK -- Farmer, Electrician, or Pioneer -- and an Opinel #8. Opinels arguably have the most comfortable handles on just about any folder, regardless of price; and SAKs are just downright more practical and functional than just about any folder, regardless of price. Quality control and warranty service can't be beat, either; Victorinox's service dept doesn't quibble with its customers over what might constitute 'abuse.' Opies and Vics won't replace your more expensive knives but you might be surprised at how frequently they make it into your 'EDC rotation.'

Last but not least -- addressed not necessarily to you but to anyone thinking about how to finance a college education for a child or him/herself: I fully agree with those who encourage you to go to a four-year college/univ. but, respectfully, I have to disagree with some of the advice regarding cost and financing given here. However commonsensical it sounds -- in-state public as the best and least expensive option -- it isn't necessarily true. Depending on your academic profile and family's financial situation, a private or out-of-state public institution might be better and less costly, in some cases far less so. Unlike some things I might say about knives, I actually know what I'm talking about here -- I'm an associate dean at UC Irvine, which is a 'research 1' university, top 50 overall and top 20 public univ. Just some brief examples: If you're a Calif. resident whose family earns below the state median $80K and you are admitted to any Univ. of Calif. campus, with few exceptions your tuition will be fully covered by Cal and Pell grants, with the difference covered by univ grants (look up "UC Blue and Gold Plan"). You may still need loans or pay out of pocket for room/board, living expenses, books, entertainment, etc.; but tuition will be covered. If your family earns less than $150K and you're admitted to Harvard or Yale, your tuition to either will be waived. In other words, if you're a CA resident whose family earns $140K, your college ed would cost vastly more to attend UC than to attend Harvard. If your family earns $200K, given the 'sliding scale' approach used by many Ivy League and other elite private schools, a Harvard or Columbia will still be less costly than a UC, whether Berkeley, Irvine, Riverside, Davis, UCLA, etc.

Two family examples: my cousin's daughter (Wash. state resident) is an undergrad at Vanderbilt on a partial scholarship and is paying about 3/4 of what it would have cost her to have enrolled at U.Washington. My nephew from Hawaii wasn't offered a dime of support from U. Hawaii but is attending U.Missouri on a full scholarship.

Moderators -- sorry to carry on WAY OFF-TOPIC but I just wanted to provide a corrective to, or at least different perspective for, partial or misleading information that could turn out to be far more costly for a family or individual than the difference between a Spydie Tenacious and Paramil 2! :) My main advice would be for anyone interested to speak directly with academic counselors (not just financial aid counselors) at colleges/univs. you or your kids may be interested in. They can help to match funding opportunities with your academic interests and financial situation.
Thanks for the compliments and the great post. I am writing the advice about college down bc my dad would appreciate when he meats with his banker or whoever.

I have been collecting knives since I was around 10 or maybe even younger. My MOM and DAD would let me buy a knife for my collection often. They knew that those knives I were collecting would hold there value or even go up. If your Dad will let you then I say buy what you want. My MOM use to think a knife was just a knife until I started collecting and then she changed her mind. They have both passed on but I still have all the knives they bought for me in my collection and the prices have done nothing but go UP!!!! GOOD LUCK! Hope you make some new knife friends here on the forums. Kevin :D:thumbup::D

I should have also put in my post wait until you start getting into Customs. If you are like most of us the longer you buy knives the more cash it will cost you!! :D:D:D
Hope you get what you want. Kevin :thumbup::D

I'm sure turk.919 is a great guy....but you are correct. Probably not a good idea! :D

I still think you should be able to sell the old man on the idea of getting a better knife. :thumbup: Like I said earlier, you have come off here as a kid who appreciates a good knife and who will appreciate an even better knife!

I say buy the knife... every teenager should have a nice blade.

I am 13 also. I edc a ZT0350 and a spyderco dyad jr. I have been using those 2 for about a year and really like it. I am also thinking about purchasing a spyderco PM2. You should get it if you can:]

I wouldn't jump onto the expensive knives just yet. I can understand your eagerness to get something nice and it's great that you're passionate about it,
but try some different cheaper knives first and learn what style of knife you will like in the end. It makes that one knife so much more special to you,
because it is exactly what you want and you've done your research well. Having spent 100+ dollars on some knife that you might not like a year later is a real drag, especially if you're going "all-in" on this one item.

i wish my kids would spend the money i give em on something worthwhile like a good knife...
they seem to like to spend my money on worthless crap like new shoes, expensive cell phones and make-up. i shoulda had boys LOL

I wouldn't jump onto the expensive knives just yet. I can understand your eagerness to get something nice and it's great that you're passionate about it,
but try some different cheaper knives first and learn what style of knife you will like in the end. It makes that one knife so much more special to you,
because it is exactly what you want and you've done your research well. Having spent 100+ dollars on some knife that you might not like a year later is a real drag, especially if you're going "all-in" on this one item.

I have held a para2 at a gun show before. I Know I like the look of the knife I sliced paper with it there and I really liked the belly it had. It's not a question if I will or won't like it.

i wish my kids would spend the money i give em on something worthwhile like a good knife...
they seem to like to spend my money on worthless crap like new shoes, expensive cell phones and make-up. i shoulda had boys LOL

Hahaha next time just give them a cheap 1 see how they like it.

I'm sorry to say it, but you're 13. A lot is going to change until you're 25. Do what you want, but that's my advice (I'm 34).
Having said that, the Para2 is a great knife and I have one, but I'm not completely in love with it.

Excellent idea! 13 year old and complete stranger who meet on the internet getting together. :D

Ha, I was actually going to invite him and his father to one our get togethers that some of the locals and members do. But thanks for making me look like a total creeper. :thumbdn:

Not like I'm new or not well known.

Get the Para2 Kiddo.
It's a great knife and you can indeed tell the difference.
That knife in particular is well worth the $100. As a matter of fact that seems like a bargain once you get it in hand.
Blade steel.. I guess isn't a huge deal, but I definitely prefer better blade steel in my knives.
I guess I don't really "need" a more expensive knife, but I love them.
If you can afford it and appreciate the difference in quality and the small differences.. then you need that knife lol.
Based from your posts.. you can afford and appreciate it.
So, get it.
I'm sure your dad will loosen up.
I'm 20 going on 21, and my mom just didn't get it at all when I first started my knife adventure. She also didn't get the difference in quality or price.
I started sitting down with her and explaining different knives, materials, heat treats, and other things. She still doesn't know a lot about them but she knows her basics and can appreciate the differences in quality and such.
Maybe once you start talking to your dad about it and really including him a lot in your hobby(you'll have to because you can't legally purchase the knives) he will learn more, and also appreciate the difference and your hobby.

Good luck, and get that knife and enjoy it!

It appears to me that you live a great lifestyle and have a good handle on managing money as well as earning it.

You can tell the difference between most $30 and $100 knives. I say get the Para 2 but watch the exchange, take your time and get one for the least amount of money possible. Getting a good buy allows one the option to sell without loosing much if any money and trying another knife. Experimenting is a good thing!

Judging from your posts I doubt you will have any problems convincing the ole man to agree to your request. Keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck in your quest and have fun with your new "tool"

Back