1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Why do people hate Spyderco?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by midmo, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Retired45

Retired45

Feb 22, 2016
    I didn't like the look. Then I carried a Pacific Salt for a day, now I'm a convert. Love them and plan to get more. Now I hate thumb studs.

2. ragnerok

ragnerok

Oct 25, 2008
    Thumb studs sucks!

3. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    I just traded a Microtech Ultratech for a Lil Temp Rhino. That's HUGE.
    rolf

4. lomemore

lomemore

Mar 20, 2018
    I wouldn't say I hate spyderco, I just think they are overrated. Most of their designs look the same and they don't appeal to me at all. They look cheap and cartoonish. The only two knives I like from spyderco are slysz bowie and nirvana and they are both discontinued.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  5. BigWillie

BigWillie

Jun 4, 2019
    because they refuse to give me a pm2 with an axis lock

J-RAY1989 likes this.
  6. Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2018
    Post a Pm3 for sale and see how many people hate Spyderco

7. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    Gotta love thread necros....

8. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    If necro threads upset people, (why beats me), ask the mods to lock the threads after a time so no one can resurrect them.

To Spyderco knives, life is too short to live with ugly things. No matter how well Spydercos work, there are better looking knives that perform as well.

YMMV to both opinions above.

9. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    It's been a thing with forums since the beginning. You bring up a thread from a year or more ago, why wasn't a new thread started instead? Doesn't bother some, doesn't really bother me. It's mostly people don't look and see when the last post was.

As for how spydercos look, I like them. To me they're not ugly, and they are usually less complex, so less to go wrong, and easier to disassemble. The hole is functional, and is much better than thumbstuds imo.

And imo most knives that perform as well cost twice as much. So if I had to choose between a spyderco and *insert knife name here* I'd probably choose the spyderco. I know it will perform and I know I can get it apart and maintain it. Known quantities and all that. Ymmv.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder either way.

nephron likes this.
  10. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Seems like you either hate them or love them. I used to think they were dumb looking and seeing them on on the big and little screen didn't help my appraisal of them. Just recently I picked up a couple through a trade and now I am a believer. I still like larger knives for the most part but I am impressed with their quality and attention to detail(also like that some are still made here, and yes Seki City has been a go to for many. many years for me). Now I just have to get completely on board with the Taiwan made knives.
    They are now part of my knife family.
    PS-Who cares if it is a necro thread if it is still applicable, why lose all those good postings. Now asking if a knife is still for sale a year later......

mdrgn79 likes this.
  11. kreisler

kreisler

May 11, 2012
    If Spyderco wasn't the industry leading company i couldn't care less about their cartoonish looking knives.
    I see how many expert people really like these knives, so i am giving them a chance. Now i have like 9 best-selling original production units including spare units and never looked back.

12. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    You really necro’d this thread just to say this?

For shame!

13. BigWillie

BigWillie

Jun 4, 2019
    LOL it wasn't a necro some other guy revived it a couple weeks ago.

I was well within my rights hahahaha

edit - no it was today even cleaner. How can you blame me? Hahaha

kreisler likes this.
  14. J-RAY1989

J-RAY1989 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2019
    You know what I love about this, is when someone makes a duplicate thread, people always say use the search function to find a thread. Then when someone does that, people complain about reviving old threads. It's quite comical.

15. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I like that people don't like Spyderco.

There are a lot of people I'm happy not to see in that section.

stabman likes this.
  16. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    When I first got into knives I thought Spyderco's looked a little weird to. But then I held a pm2, and never held a knife that fit me so well.
    Now I find spyderco designs beautiful and other knife companies dull looking

17. dug24

dug24

Jan 21, 2014
    I guess I'm kinda glad people hate Spyderco?:confused: Just think how hard buying a popular sprint run would be if everyone liked them!:)

5-by-5 and TenShun705 like this.
  18. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    Larger spyderco? Taiwan made? Get an Amalgam! :D

GundaManiac and nephron like this.
  19. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    When I first saw the Spyderco POLICE, I remember being very excited.
    Finally, I thought, someone is modernizing the pocket knife and advancing the quality of production blades.
    The hole in the blade was a no brainer yet why hadn’t someone thought of it before?
    And that pocket clip makes so much sense. Now I can carry a folder without it turning sideways at the bottom of my pocket.

5-by-5 likes this.
  20. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    I was told that the word "fugly" was coined to describe our knives ("F'n ugly").

sal

palonej, TheSloth, fonedork and 5 others like this.