Why do people hate Spyderco?

I never gave Spyderco a chance due to looks alone. Luckily I've gotten over that and currently own 4 of their knives.

I don't hate them, but in general, the hole makes the blade very wide without adding lateral strength, poor cutting edge to overall length ratio, poor aluminum anodizing and they all look alike. I have a few and the only one I wouldn't get rid of is the M.I.M. 440C.

It's all a matter of taste.

I don't hate them, but in general, the hole makes the blade very wide without adding lateral strength, poor cutting edge to overall length ratio, poor aluminum anodizing and they all look alike. I have a few and the only one I wouldn't get rid of is the M.I.M. 440C.

It's all a matter of taste.

Can't agree with you that they all look alike; have you looked at the latest catalogue? The ethnic series? The locks? The handle materials?

Last edited:
Traditional slip-joints have always been my thing, I never paid any attention to any "tactical" or modern knives.
I did get curious about the Manix two. The gateway knife was the purchase of a Kershaw Link (love it) and I started reading more
about other "modern" knives. The Manix 2 seemed perfect for what I needed in a tough, solid work knife. So, I bought one.
I loved EVERYTHING about the Spyderco, the look of it, even thought the hole looked cool, and I loved the
one-hand function of it too. The fit in my hand is unreal... perfection.
I have been unable to carry any of my traditional knives since, because I love this Spyderco so much.

Instead of starting a whole new thread I figured I would just ask here since it was mentioned a few times: Why do people hate Cold Steel? I've personally never owned one but I thought (at least at one time) that they were known for quality. I don't mean to start a flame war just curious.

Cold Steel makes the best plastic baseball bats on the whole planet, and they even come in two sizes! Who cares that their prez is a litigious blowhard. It's all about the bats man.

I think the discussion is going fine and the title is just dandy. In my experience one reason some people don't like Spydies is because their ergonomics often dictate that the blade is mostncomfortable held in a certain grip. Whereas a more neutrally designed handlencan be held in many grips comfortably.

Traditional slip-joints have always been my thing, I never paid any attention to any "tactical" or modern knives.
I did get curious about the Manix two. The gateway knife was the purchase of a Kershaw Link (love it) and I started reading more
about other "modern" knives. The Manix 2 seemed perfect for what I needed in a tough, solid work knife. So, I bought one.
I loved EVERYTHING about the Spyderco, the look of it, even thought the hole looked cool, and I loved the
one-hand function of it too. The fit in my hand is unreal... perfection.
I have been unable to carry any of my traditional knives since, because I love this Spyderco so much.

No reason not to carry a traditional knife. I carry a small traditional and a "modern" most days.

_20170101_084334_zpskikkae8c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I don't hate Spyderco, but I'm not a fan either and I don't own any of the knives. About ten years ago a buddy of mine was into them and I checked out the ones that he had. They were nice enough but none of them ever motivated me to buy my own. To my eye, each one looks more awkward than the last. That's not a comment on the goodness or useability of the knives, I just cannot get past the look of them. And it's not that I didn't want to like them either.

Over the years I have repeatedly looked at the knives on line and never found but one that interested me. That was the original Yojimbo. I did get one of those and I loved it as an object and a cool 'thing' but I never used it, not even once. I never even pocketed it. I eventually sold it off along with all my other non users.

I always leaned more towards Benchmade but even their line took a left turn some years back and there's nothing left in it that I'd buy..and I was at the gun shop looking at them, today...nothing.

The Paramilitary 2 has caught my eye and I'm wishing that there was a retailer near me so I could check one out. I'm long past buying knives on line just to see what they're like in person and possibly sticking myself with an anchor that I then have to turn around and sell. I'm betting I'd like it though so maybe I'll just get one. We shall see.

Instead of starting a whole new thread I figured I would just ask here since it was mentioned a few times: Why do people hate Cold Steel? I've personally never owned one but I thought (at least at one time) that they were known for quality. I don't mean to start a flame war just curious.

lynn the owners antics mainly, add in their 80s kung fu mixed with 90s zubaz pants and ufc culture style and there you go. their demkos tri-ad lock is the best in the business though and they make decent stuff for the price point. some of it is quite good, but this is the wrong forum for discussing this.

as for spyderco, i cant see any reason someome cant like at the minimum one of their knives. no one does a better job of steel choices, sizes, lock types, and overall quality for the price and a few other things, than spyderco. lots of great brands but spyderco is always at the top.

I used to dislike Spyderco knives. They looked ugly, especially the hump back with the big hole in the middle, which seemed to decrease the blade strength, while increasing the closed width. This was 20 years ago.

Then when I came back to this hobby a few years back, I just tried one and was sold with Stretch 2 first and then GB1 and PM2. Spyder hole is so much more functional and comfortable than thumb studs. Spyderco offers a many different knives with many different steel and handle options. They also have more design options lately, in which the hole is implemented in different ways. Spydiechef (and Slysz Bowie) is excellent in this sense.

Miso

I don't hate Spyderco, but I'm not a fan either and I don't own any of the knives. About ten years ago a buddy of mine was into them and I checked out the ones that he had. They were nice enough but none of them ever motivated me to buy my own. To my eye, each one looks more awkward than the last. That's not a comment on the goodness or useability of the knives, I just cannot get past the look of them. And it's not that I didn't want to like them either.

Over the years I have repeatedly looked at the knives on line and never found but one that interested me. That was the original Yojimbo. I did get one of those and I loved it as an object and a cool 'thing' but I never used it, not even once. I never even pocketed it. I eventually sold it off along with all my other non users.

I always leaned more towards Benchmade but even their line took a left turn some years back and there's nothing left in it that I'd buy..and I was at the gun shop looking at them, today...nothing.

The Paramilitary 2 has caught my eye and I'm wishing that there was a retailer near me so I could check one out. I'm long past buying knives on line just to see what they're like in person and possibly sticking myself with an anchor that I then have to turn around and sell. I'm betting I'd like it though so maybe I'll just get one. We shall see.

I don't hate them either but don't own one for a simple reason. I've just never seen one that had a blade/handle combo that appealed to me.

Everyone likes different stuff. I like two of the more hated brands---ZT and Emerson. Those are some polarizing knives around here it seems.

Meanwhile, the most universally loved (Benchmade, Spyderco) just haven't put out something that screamed out to me that I needed them yet.

I hate Spyderco because every single time I purchase one and swear I will not purchase another because I should save some money, and this one that just arrived is perfect, I realize that I still don't have any Millies. No Paramilitary. No Dragonfly. Gosh, I bet the Manix 2 XL would make a great edc. I just love the looks of the all black Southard, and the positron, well yeah! I really should pick up a tatanka to round out my large blade folders. I bet my grandpa would love the Hungarian. The Burch Chubby looks extremely practical. What about the dodo Eric designed? Crap, I don't have a single blade with the Emerson wave, I need to fix that. Sharon loves the cricket...

I hate Spyderco because every time I get into different knives, I always end up buying Spydercos again.

I hate Spyderco because every single time I purchase one and swear I will not purchase another because I should save some money, and this one that just arrived is perfect, I realize that I still don't have any Millies. No Paramilitary. No Dragonfly. Gosh, I bet the Manix 2 XL would make a great edc. I just love the looks of the all black Southard, and the positron, well yeah! I really should pick up a tatanka to round out my large blade folders. I bet my grandpa would love the Hungarian. The Burch Chubby looks extremely practical. What about the dodo Eric designed? Crap, I don't have a single blade with the Emerson wave, I need to fix that. Sharon loves the cricket...

Hahaha...that was like reading one of my own mental rants.

Back