why do SR go differently heattreat?

Differential heat treat allows SR-101 to be much more durable. Here is a quote from an older, more knowledgeable gentleman:

"SR-101 - high flexibility and overall solid edge toughness due to the differential temper and inherently non-brittle nature of SR-101"

From my minimal understanding, it's because SR101 is not as forgiving in bending as Jerry would like. So larger blades (not all, but most/many) are differentially treated so that hte edge stays sharp and the overall blade can flex properly. Just like a Samurai sword. (Altho they also use different steels. SR101 is capable of good flex AND good edge at the same time by diff-treating.)

Almost any big chopper will benefit from differential tempering. It makes sense when the blade width is over 1-1/4" (+/-) like the Rats.

different intensities of heat treatment affect the steel differently. by treating the spine of the blade differently than the actual cutting edge, you can give each the particular properties that benefit it most. you can give the edge more hardness and wear resistance for cutting and give the body of the blade more toughness to give it strength to help it resist breaking under pressure. hard steel cuts better but it is more brittle. softer steel is less likely to fracture but will not perform as well for cutting so u give each portion of the blade the properties it needs most. I'm just learning this stuff so I may be off a bit but I think these are the basics of it.

Back