Why do the New Battle Rats have Exposed Tangs?

I thought they studied this issue, and decided it was contrary to the well being of the blade??

When designing the tang for these blades we had considered having it protrude through the end of the handle, but our testing proved that this feature, when used as designed, for hammering, allowed dirt, debris, and excessive moisture to gather under the handle. This in turn leads to a much greater possibility for handle and/or tang failure. At Swamp Rat Knife Works we don't take chances when it comes to long term durability and performance.

That comment was in regards to the Resiprene C handles, if you notice the new Tactical line does not have Resiprene C handles but it has Micarta handles. The Tactical line was addded with the exposed tang because of comments we have received from military and law enforcement personnel that prefer to have it if needed to use as a "hammer" or to pound on the tang when needed.

I hope this helps.

Bit of a misunderstanding. There's a big difference between having exposed tangs next to solid micarta slabs and having them protrude out from under a flexible material like resiprine-c (take a look at Fallkniven A-1, although it's kraton instead of resiprine). Grit and grime are not going to get under a solid scale. Moisture may, but moisture on its own is not a problem with these coatings.
The advantage that is picked up with the exposed tangs is largely one of looks/feel, as some prefer the solid scales. Also, the micarta is much more resistant to cuts/tears and abrasion that the resiprince-c, though it's not really much of an issue since the Swamp Rat warranty covers the whole knife--including handles--be they resprine or micarta.
The advantage of the resiprine handles is protection of the hand from hot/cold bare metal, shock, and abrasion.

Both will work extremely well, and both are going to continue to be offered, so people can choose what they may.

Edit to add: Eric had not posted when I started this, so disregard redundancies.

t1mpani said:
Edit to add: Eric had not posted when I started this, so disregard redundancies.

Warren had not posted when I started mine, if I knew he was going to sound smarter I would have kept my mouth shut ;)

:D:D

Eric Isaacson said:
Warren had not posted when I started mine, if I knew he was going to sound smarter I would have kept my mouth shut ;)

:D:D

Eric is unaware that I've figured out his BF password, but my conscience has gotten to me so disregard this self-serving sentence. I should never have posted it. ;) :D

Back