Why does the Knockout weight 1.3 ounces more than the Skyline?

I was watching some Knockout vids today because I have been very interested in it but then I find out that it weighs almost 60% more than the Skyline. I thought the benefit of the knife was the inset liner lock meant it didn't need a full length steel liner and therefore would be thinner and lighter.

The measurements are within 1/8 of an inch of eachother but the blade on the Knockout looks a little taller/thicker. Has anyone handled both? Is blade size the reason for the added weight?

I see the Echelon is going to come in at 2.6 ounces which is much closer to the Skyline and might be right there in terms of weight with the torsion spring removed.

Okay, now I am super confused.

The specs say the handle is G10. The official description appears to be a little confused as well.

It’s a Knockout in more ways than one. The Knockout looks great, but the reason it bears this name is that we’ve “knocked out” a piece of the G-10 handle and inset a stainless-steel plate to create a frame lock that we’re calling a Sub-Frame Lock® You get the lightweight benefits of anodized aluminum handles and the strength of a steel frame lock with integral lockbar stabilization. The Knockout also features SpeedSafe® assisted opening. It’s equipped with our new deep-carry clip and is drilled for quad-carry: tip-up, tip-down, left- or right-handed. Made in the USA.

The videos I have seen make it look like both sides are G10.

Originally spec'd for anodized aluminum, but that was nixed in favor of G10. I suppose it's possible the weight listed on Kershaw's site is for the original prototype and wasn't updated with the G10 switch, but it's more likely that the bigger blade overall construction differences account for the weight increase.

Watch the second video in this thread and take a look at the pictures in this thread. Should answer your question well enough.

if you have handled both, you'd be surprised it's only 1.3 ounces heavier, knockout is a substantially beefier knife in both handle and blade.

Back