• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Why Don't People Like Paypal?

It is so much easier to just click and pay than to get a money order or wait for a check to clear. Are the rates that bad?

That and loosing $35 to them on a $1000 item gets to me a little.

However, their pinko-maggot agenda is the biggest issue for me.

They have a great system and if they would have kept their politics and ignorant beliefs out of it I would have been a big fan of them.

They also have not been supportive of customers who were ripped off which is a claim they make that they do not back up very well.

I still use them for a lot of little buys but hate doing so out of principal.

I have completed a hundred or more transactions with them with no hint of a problem. Didn't even know they had politics.

Is it possible to get your money from them quickly? I've heard that it takes up to a month. My Dad uses eBay to buy and we haven't sold there yet.
Also, can you bid on your own item if it's going too cheaply on eBay? Somebody told me it's allowed but I don't know for sure.

I get my money within 3 days. It takes longer if you want a check mailed to you.

I have had no problems with paypal, and can't remember any charges to me.

I transfer money straight from paypal to my bank account,never waited more than 4 days.Only trouble i have had from them was when they shut my account for using them to sell a firearm...which i didn't! turned out some idiot didn't read the sale properly and shut me down for selling an AK-47..Busse AK-47 that is.After sending many extremely colourful emails my account was reinstated.Instead of the apology i asked for they sent me a survey asking me how i felt about their service.

Their exchange rates are not exactly the best going most of the time.

You are kidding right? Paypal routinely freezes sellers' accounts for one reason or the other, with the account holder having no real recourse other than hoping all goes well and they eventually get their money back. And if you have another account "attached" to it, they will debit that account as well. While this sounds as if they are doing so to assist disgruntled buyers, most reports of efforts to get a refund through Paypal suggest they delay the process so much that your children will be lucky to see the money. Bottom line is if Paypal has your money, it it their money until they tire of playing with it. While I do use Paypal as a buyer, I do so only through a CC that I know will whack them around, or a dishonest seller, and give me a quick charge-back, if warranted.
Paypal is the devil's coinpurse!
no love for paypal,
rats...

Is it possible to get your money from them quickly? I've heard that it takes up to a month. My Dad uses eBay to buy and we haven't sold there yet.
Also, can you bid on your own item if it's going too cheaply on eBay? Somebody told me it's allowed but I don't know for sure.

You best not be caught bidding, or having someone to bump your prices up, it is done, but it is called shilling. Ebay has some pretty strict rules on that subject and repercussions if caught. Don't recommend it. Also, if you don't want something to sell below a certain price, set a reserve. If you are new, I heard, do not know for sure, that you have to have 10 transactions before being allowed to set reserve. I do not know if that is fact or misinformation. Best to check out their FAQ.
Jim

Paypal is the fastest and most convenient way to send money to, or receive money from, an individual you do not know. It is also at least as safe as any other method for such transactions. I have also found it to be the simplest is the simplest, fastest, most convenient way to purchase something from overseas with reasonable safety. As for fees, for any overseas purchase I've ever made, they were cheaper than Western Union or a wire transfer from my bank when an overseas seller required me to cover them. While that's not the case on domestic transactions, most times I will still opt for the speed and convenience of Paypal.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

i dont like credit cards so i dont have one. the easiest method for me is postal money order since i'm probably shipping a knife anyways. it also saves me an unnecessary trip to the bank.

I've been using PayPal for several years now. Not only for auctions but also to pay for items from online stores that accept PayPal. I find it very easy and saves me time. I have had 3 issues with sellers over the past 5 yrs or so where I did not receive an item and PayPal has returned my money each time.

I hate there stand on gun issues & there auto knife policies & the 1000.subdivisions of there policy & I still use them for the ease of transactions, but never leave my money in there account, or have there credit card, I only use my credit card for transactions. So if I have a problem with something they will fight for me.

I use them often but would never tie them into my bank account. I use a CC for all paypal transaction, and said cc has added "fraud Protection" that even covers the initial $50 on any fraudulent transactions.

I would be so afraid to give them my bank account numbers...................because of the horror stories heard (read) about right here on BFC.

Paypal is a love/hate relationship with me. Aside from their second amendment issues, it is a very convenient method for sending and receiving money. I think their commission, at 3.5% is extortion. But they are part of fleabay, which is also extortion. Ebay will charge you to list an item, then charge you a final value fee, then charge you to be paid for the item through Paypal, it's triple taxation. There is also no protection from a seller's standpoint with Paypal. Any complaint from a buyer and they debit your account for the money until the dispute is resolved. So I hate em for that reason.

Paypal is a love/hate relationship with me. Aside from their second amendment issues, it is a very convenient method for sending and receiving money. I think their commission, at 3.5% is extortion. But they are part of fleabay, which is also extortion. Ebay will charge you to list an item, then charge you a final value fee, then charge you to be paid for the item through Paypal, it's triple taxation. There is also no protection from a seller's standpoint with Paypal. Any complaint from a buyer and they debit your account for the money until the dispute is resolved. So I hate em for that reason.

Amen halfserrated, Amen.

You are kidding right? Paypal routinely freezes sellers' accounts for one reason or the other, with the account holder having no real recourse other than hoping all goes well and they eventually get their money back.

I got my first account closed for no reason and got my money after 8 months. No chance to reopen it. I opened second account 3 years after that using totally different data (my first account was in US) and had it limited twice already. Reasons? First address verification (took few days to get all required papers) and then for showing paypal logo on website together with knives. So be careful what you sell/buy with Paypal - they do not like knives at all.

David

I had a great aversion to Paypal before joining and still do. It was mainly out of convenience that I joined. My buying and selling on the internet is usually involving knives.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

The website above outlines reasons for not having Paypal. I still prefer check, MO, or cash, but recently paypal was quite handy. The bottom line of any deal is know who you are dealing with. I find the buyer/seller review feature of this website to be extremely helpful.

To those who have been wronged in deals, I am very saddened for you. I wonder how the perpetrators can live with themselves. Apparently their dad never spanked them enough as children, and they themselves have never been wronged before.

Back