Why I carry a BK14 everyday...

So not only is the BK14 small enough for pocket sheath carry daily dissapearing cross-draw...

...but I also have tiny hands and I get a solid 4-fonger grip on the OE plastic scales....

And they're inexpensive, making you not worry about how hard you use it...

But after watching this video, you HAVE to have confidence that this thing will withstand everything you could cenceivably throw at it.

Turn on the English subtitles and watch as more abuse is thrown at this little knife than you should ever need:

It's overbuilt and tried, tested and true.

I just wouldnt trust betting my life on a $350, beautiful, low-production, custom knife in a Super Steel with awesome scales, the same way or as much as I do this little, inexpensive carbon steel .

But... I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.

Last edited:
So not only is the BK14 small enough for pocket sheath carry daily dissapearing cross-draw...

...but I also have tiny hands and I get a solid 4-fonger grip on the OE plastic scales....

But after watching this video, you HAVE to have confidence that this thing will withstand everything you could cenceivably throw at it.

Turn on the English subtitles and watch as more abuse is thrown at this little knife than you should ever need:

I just wouldnt trust betting my life on a $350, beautiful, low-production, custom knife in a Super Steel with awesome scales, the same way or as much as I do this little, inexpensive carbon steel .

I’m with you on about 85% of what you say.

He BK14 is great. It’s durable and strong. Excellent knife.

The part I disagree on is that somehow an inexpensive carbon steel blade is more worthy of “betting my life” on it than a lower production knife in super steels with nice scales. Just to use one example, I have no doubt that a Carothers EDC or HDFK could easily withstand the same and more abuse than a BK14.

BUT that’s not really the point. I’d bet my butt on a BK14 any day. Kabar’s 1095cv with Ethan’s designs is truly a match made in heaven. All knives in the Becker line are fantastic. Just don’t make the mistaken assumption hat somehow $300 custom knives are less durable because of the higher price tag.

Totally... I'm not saying that an expensive, low-production, hand made supersteel piece couldn't equal the BK14 or even beat it in certain areas... (Like edge-holding, corrosion resistance, etc)

It's just that there can be production or quality issues in boutique manufacturing.

SURE... They'd make it right and fix / replace a defective item....

But if you NEED reliability and can not afford a failure, a lower hardness carbon steel with 10's or 100's of thousands being out there being made by a company that uses the same steel and heat treat on millions of blades for decades... provides at least me with some peace of mind .

The fact that this video and a few others show ppl beating the hell out of it and trusting that the QC on these blades is consistent, helps too.

At least as a single, always on me EDC piece, it gives me insane peace of mind to have a bomb-proof, survival blade in my pocket.

Last edited:

Wow.... What a little beast!
And, That guy sure knows how to sell them... :)

Hmmm, why would you prefer this to, say, an Izula? Similarly sized, optional scales available for both... both 1095 IIRC?

Hmmm, why would you prefer this to, say, an Izula? Similarly sized, optional scales available for both... both 1095 IIRC?

An Izula is in the same boat, for sure!

I just prefer a bit more blade length and horizontal cutting area personally... But they're both really great!

Izula is a bit shorter too, if you need that added concealability. Izula 2 might be my choice if I had larger hands and wanted a 4-finger grip.

Izula also comes in stainless (although not as rough and tumble as the 1095) much like the D2 bk24.

I also like the looks of the esse CR2.5, but it's not going to be quite as versatile as the BK14.

I have a thing for these little fixed tanks!

My modded 14 (and a couple knives from some other guy)
48377481_10156834278339603_3485657975530455040_n.jpg

The 14 is one of my favorite Beckers - I mean they are all my favorites but the cost, weight, size to performance ratio of the 14 is just amazing. To say that it punches above its weight is an understatement.

My modded 14 (and a couple knives from some other guy)
48377481_10156834278339603_3485657975530455040_n.jpg
I think I may have to copy you on this, I have three 14s and one modded like yours with Ttw scales seems like a great idea. :thumbsup:
The 14 is a fantastic little blade for sure :thumbsup: I carry and use the 24 more :D
View attachment 1068077
I went with the little one below at the top of the pic for more hand room :)
View attachment 1068080
The globetrotter is a great little blade. Actually, all the KaBar Jarosz fixed blades are really nice. :thumbsup:

I have the Ka-Bar Jarosz little skeletonized Necker and I think it's by far the best of the little, cheap neckers .

Great ergonomics and perfect for when you need a sub 3" (2.5" blade) knife that's super compact.

I have the Ka-Bar Jarosz little skeletonized Necker and I think it's by far the best of the little, cheap neckers .

Great ergonomics and perfect for when you need a sub 3" (2.5" blade) knife that's super compact.
I agree...
vHtw9o8.jpg

They don’t look like that anymore, that pic was taken over a year ago.

The BK23 mini-King is a solid blade too...
ORYvzLH.jpg

Back