Recommendation? Why I carry Cold Steel

I don't usually bother trying to change someone's opinion. But I'll throw this out there OP. You're takeaway closing statement is grossly misinformed at best.

FWIW, the 2 Spyderco's you have experience with are 2 models made in China. They are entry level models with budget steel types. So when you compare them to a blade with CTS-XHP steel, you should see significantly different results. Different steel, different blade geometry, different lock types, etc...apples and oranges.

Enjoy your knives. Just wanted you to be aware there are a WHOLE LOT of comparable choices out there that are up to a lifetime of reliable use and abuse.

no, I don´t think there are a "whole lot", especially for the same price. Look at the AK-47 now, CTS-XHP, one of the strongest locks or strongest, great ergonomics, pommel, just over 5oz, thumb disk (w wave opening function), 3.5" blade for around 100 bucks. Where are there a "whole lot" of knives that can compete with that.

I wish my Cold Steel Recon 1 wasn't broken. The lock bar that the blade rests on when closed was rattling real bad when open. I took the knife apart to put some grease in the pin holes in the G-10 and noticed that the hole in the handle scale of the pivot bolt was all augered out. It isn't round like the screw hole should be. It is a large jagged hole that the head of the pivot bolt BARELY covers. Since there are no liners on the Recon 1 I'm waiting for the scale to come loose from the pivot bolt any day now.

Last edited:
I am fully aware they were cheap, affordable, low quality material made knives. And I didnt do a good job of explaining comparing the steels. The AK47 that I was comparing to the Tenacious and Resilience was AUS 8, which if im not wrong, should have been comparable to that steel. My run with XHP has been nothing but pleasant, but then again its my first "super steel". I have no doubt Spyderco makes high quality knives that can take abuse. However, for what I used to use knives for, a Spyderco that did the exact same as the AK47 did would have cost a lot more, which would have fallen out of my price range at the time (I mean, come on I was 17) and honestly because the tenacious failed on me it made me develop a kind of mistrust with Spydercos. I know this is personal bias, and completely unwarrented, and had the AK47 failed in the same manner which it very well could have, I would have a different outlook on Cold Steel, but it did not.

Nowadays, I just need a knife mainly for SD as there has been problems with the homeless in my city, either robbing or just beating people up, and I strongly believe that the scarier the knife looks the higher of a chance that the person will be deterred to enter a conflict. Cold steel happens to make VERY intimidating designs, and as I work with a lot of veterans and people that conceal carry, I do not have to worry about drawing attention to myself. I will say though, there was a point in time when I saw the Spyderco Matriarch and Civilian and was thinking of getting one, but the lack of wave ultimately pulled me towards the espada I got 3 weeks ago
Just wanted you to see this link on waving a CS. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wave-my-coldsteel.1543858/

I started buying their knives in the early 80's.
I own or have owned more CS blades than I can remember and I have never in all that time been disappointed. Not once.
They work for me and that's all I need them to do.

No other knife company has produced the variety of blades and impact weapons that they have. They have never shied away from producing what by some would be considered controversial items.

I don't have to like some of the hype or every single item they sell to appreciate the brand as a whole.
I like the ones I buy and that's all that matters to me.

Just my 2 cents.

I started buying their knives in the early 80's.
I own or have owned more CS blades than I can remember and I have never in all that time been disappointed. Not once.
They work for me and that's all I need them to do.

No other knife company has produced the variety of blades and impact weapons that they have. They have never shied away from producing what by some would be considered controversial items.

I don't have to like some of the hype or every single item they sell to appreciate the brand as a whole.
I like the ones I buy and that's all that matters to me.

Just my 2 cents.

That s what matters.

Regarding the comment above that there are a WHOLE LOTof comparable choices out there to the Cold Steel folders:
the quality, strength , ergonomics, and materials of the premium folders cannot be easily found for comparable prices, especially with the transition of some companies to MAP pricing. My old standby company, formerly the market leader in value quality, has fallen behind in that respect. Cold Steel may be the current market leader in value, depending on how the use of s35v steel goes.

That s what matters.

Regarding the comment above that there are a WHOLE LOTof comparable choices out there to the Cold Steel folders:
the quality, strength , ergonomics, and materials of the premium folders cannot be easily found for comparable prices, especially with the transition of some companies to MAP pricing. My old standby company, formerly the market leader in value quality, has fallen behind in that respect. Cold Steel may be the current market leader in value, depending on how the use of s35v steel goes.

Depends on what you are looking for too. I like the larger models of knives, nobody seems to make them like Cold Steel. I look at Spydies and really like the looks of some but but geez 4" seems to be the largest and not many of those. I guess most people do like the smaller versions, I am just not like other people and Cold Steel seems to be unique among knife makers. Throw in the Tri Ad Lock and...........

I'm seeing the AK-47 in both S35V and CTS XHP. Is one newer than the other? The Cold Steel site shows the S35V.

Hell, if you need two hands to open your Cold Steel folder, you're not man enough to carry it! :cool:

Hell, if you need two hands to open your Cold Steel folder, you're not man enough to carry it! :cool:
Wow!
I was going to say if you need two hands to CLOSE your Cold Steel folder you re not man enough to use it, but I was afraid that would be two controversial. Then I got one Triad lock knife that couldn't t be closed with two hands and the corner of a table. Had to return that one.
I don t think LarsAnna s statement is in the least controversial.

Granted, I haven't had every single Cold Steel in my hands, but the more than 30 CS folders I have, I can open and close with one hand.

Granted, I haven't had every single Cold Steel in my hands, but the more than 30 CS folders I have, I can open and close with one hand.
The one I had to send back was defective. Locked open and became a virtual fixed blade. I didn t want to dissemble it to inspect it. Got a nice apology from the vendor.

I've been thinking about trying Cold Steel. Never owned one. I'm a "big knife" guy. And I like them beefy and even overbuilt. The Colossus , 4-Max and Rajah all look sweet.

Is there a way to remove the clip from the 4-Max? It looks pinned.

I've been thinking about trying Cold Steel. Never owned one. I'm a "big knife" guy. And I like them beefy and even overbuilt. The Colossus , 4-Max and Rajah all look sweet.

Is there a way to remove the clip from the 4-Max? It looks pinned.

Welcome to a whole new set of addictive offerings! Might I suggest two more to ponder? Take a look at the Recon 1 XL (while they still can be found, as they're now discontinued) and the SR1. Both are available in clip and tanto points.

If you want beefy and overbuilt, the 4-MAX defines the genre. The closest I've seen that's comparable is the Grayman Satu or maybe a Crusader Forge FIFP. The 4-MAX clip is removable. If you decide to use it, the American clip is very tight, while the Italian clip is more pocket-friendly.

Please let us know what you end up buying.

-Steve

Last edited:

Welcome to a whole new set of addictive offerings! Might I suggest two more to ponder? Take a look at the Recon 1 XL (while they still can be found, as they're now discontinued) and the SR1. Both are available in clip and tanto points.

If you want beefy and overbuilt, the 4-MAX defines the genre. The closest I've seen that's comparable is the Grayman Satu or maybe a Crusader Forge FIFP. The 4-MAX clip is removable. If you decide to use it, the American clip is very tight, while the Italian clip is more pocket-friendly.

Please let us know what you end up buying.

-Steve
Thanks for the info. How exactly would I remove the 4-Max clip?

I'll check out the SR1 and Recon. I also like the looks of the Ultimate Hunter.

Thanks for the info. How exactly would I remove the 4-Max clip?

I'll check out the SR1 and Recon. I also like the looks of the Ultimate Hunter.

The Ultimate Hunter is like a smaller ,lighter version of the 4 Max. Very strong, and very easy to carry due to light weight.
A very useful outdoor work knife. Get one with xtp while you can.

Back