Why I love Purveyors.......

I like to haggle
I love to trade
I live for variety
I hate going to a show and a maker has NO KNIVES FOR SALE!
Purveyors will find YOU knives that you are looking for!

Since I use almost everything I own, I enjoy buying on the secondary market. A few scratches just add character when you are buying user grade customs.

Purveyors also allow the purchasing of knives by deceased makers, older knives from collections, or even knives of a pattern/style that makers dont produce any longer.

My favorite trade is when I come across that rare purveyor who sells production knives also and I can trade production for custom-that is a great thrill for this kid.

Who are some of your favorite purveyors?

Mine are:

McC of NY
Les R.
Classic Cutlery

I have no time for purveyors that treat their customers like dirt (there are a few)
And those whose prices are pipe dreams.
(Why would a used tactical folder sell for more than a makers price?)

Les Robertson, Larry Connelley at Knifeart.com, and when he sold customs Jim Ray. These are my faves. Of course I also love to trade around.

Thank you Anthony and Lewis.

I think purveyors play a pivotal role in the big scheme of custom knives.

Because we carry so many different makers knives in stock. Our web sites, show tables and catalogs can provide a new or even a vetran collector with a wide array of custom knives. Many are previously unknown to that collector.

This may spark interest in a new collector or maintain the spark in a seasoned collector.

A purveyor who showcases a new knife makers work can do wonder's for a maker's career.

I think of guys like Paul Basch, Ray and Carol Clark (R&C Knives, now out of business), Joe Drouin ( a collector, but his display at shows over the last 20 years is a history lesson in custom knives, A.G. Russell, Dave Harvey (Nordic Knives). These are the individuals whose catalogs I looked at when I first started collecting.

Purveyors provide a link to the past and a window to the future. How many of you have contacted a purveyor about a maker, or a mark on a knife, etc.

Additionally, purveyors anually purchase well over 10 million dollars worth of custom knives every year. Im sure there are one or two makers who appreciate that.

We teach, market, provide "expertise" and all in all are a pretty good group of people.

Oh, unlike most knife makers, we take trade ins!

Les

Tony,

Knife purveyors are a plague. NO, I'm just kidding.

I've been dealing with Les, and Jay Sadow at Arizona Custom Knives for years. Always a pleasurable experience. Wish I could make them more knives but, partly because of them, business is good and I'm running way behind.

Dealers come and dealers go but these two and several others are here to stay. Honest, plenty of integrity, and will do a maker good.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Couldn't agree more with Kit. I like knowing that there are a few dealers I can count on to help me and my customers. Dealers are a great time-saver. If I can ship 6 knives to a dealer in one shot, and, he does all the customer stuff, and ships them to 6 people, well, that's about 6 hours of my time (PART TIME), that I can spend catching up on orders. That's worth a discount, in my book. Also, dealers are a good barometer for trends, what's hot regionally, and, what customers are asking for. The smart maker gets these inputs into his work in short order.
Plus, it's nice to have other people talking good about your stuff.

RJ Martin

I personally would like to put a vote in for:

Paul Bausch-Cutting Edge

Chris Christman-Top of Texas Knives

Dennis Blaine-Cutlery Specialties

I am sure there are many other great dealers. These are just some that I have had great experiences with.

------------------
Lynn GriffithMy website
GriffithKN@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Lynn Grififth Knives (edited 29 October 1999).]

I agree with all of the posts, would also add that the purveyors ive dealt with (primarily Les) make it possible for you to buy knives you couldnt otherwise afford. Les's policy of 1/3 down and payoff within a agreed time has come in handy for me. I think other purveyors may do this as well.

I think the most honest are the best for makers and clients. Les has always been up front with his clients and makers. Larry at knifeart has also along with Jay Sadow (ACK).

I really like Les's trade in policy. Many clients like it also . I hear comments on it quite often.

------------------
Web Site At www.infinet.com/~browzer/bldesmth.html
Take a look!!!

He doesn't get much exposure here because he mostly lurks. Gary Levine is a guy worth looking at in the NY show. Besides being a nice guy he's not the gouger type purveyor.
He sells his knives at an extremely fair price. If you've seen his magazine ad he makes some sort of reference to good prices. It's true. Stop and see him if he's there this year.

Les Robertson
He has always been up front with me with regards to my taste; very informative and will not pressure me into another knife if the one I'm looking for is out of stock but will offer suggestions on alternates or put me on the list for when they arrive.
I have not had the opportunity to work with any other purveyors but I always appreciate the opportunity to meet and deal with new contacts.

Kevin

Les R.,Gary Levine,Greg Bachley, and David Hodge are all friendly, honest, and fairly priced.
You have to know what you're looking at though. At the recent NY Show, I was looking at a little hunter at Jim Siska's table that I should have bought but while I was walking around making up my mind, it sold. A little while later I saw the same model at a purveyor's table and asked the price. He was asking $450- Jim Siska's price was 275.
But I gotta say this is an exception-most purveyors are honorable.

------------------
lifter
Phil. 4:13

Dave
Wharton,NJ

Back