Why I wouldn't spend more than $xxx.xx on a knife

$xxx.xx = $200.00

Reason = I would definetly lose it!

------------------
>)-RadarMan-(<

Upper limit right now for blades is around $1000.00 although I've never bought anything exceeding $400.

Tim

OK Fine I guess I will have to give you a knife then!

Hey RadarMan, check the "And the winner is thread"

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator

A long time ago I would think that guy was crazy to spend a hundred dollars for a knife. Now 25 years later I find myself buying knives that cost more than my car.
Knives are just like any other collecting hobby, if you get caught up in it ,watch out. Around the japanese sword circuit they always talk about a poor chap that got so caught up in swords that he put himself in bankruptcy. He got obsessed and started using the plastic.

xxx= the minimum it will cost me to get an EDI.
I've had to set aside a lot of overtime,bonuses,and tips to afford one. I won't let it out of my sight when i do get it.
I expect it to last me a life time.

I wouldn't spend over a $150 on a knife because I would eventually make it look all scratched up and ugly and feel that I wasted my money. I am a user of economy class knives, and will probably remain like that except for the EDI I will eventually buy, and some Benchmades. I am something of a cheapskate.

Comrade C.

I've always looked at acquisitions with an eye towards quality and utility. Diminishing returns becomes the threshold above which I have great difficulty justifying the additional bucks.

With knives that currently has worked out to be at the over $400 level. There I find that the additional cost involves embellishments or a marque's unique design features that I can't always justify. Every year this threshold creeps higher though.

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

My first knife was a Benchmade Eclipse. After that knife, I thought I would never buy a more expensive knife because the Eclipse was so perfect! A few weeks later, I found out that AFCK from Benchmade was actually a lot smoother, and I love how I can flick it open with ease. Of course, as fate turned out, I was introduced to Microtech knives a few weeks after that. The rest is just plain financial depression. I still carry my AFCK, because I could never force myself to use a Damascus mini SOCOM or a two tone Halo or a dual action SOCOM...

So basically, I thought my upper limit was about $50, but it ended up around the $800 range, and I definitely see signs that it will go up... Woe with me!!!

$xxx.xx=$200.00

Reason= I'd probably lose it.

Is that all it takes?

Mike did I win a Knife too?????????

When I bought my first quality knife...I was willing to spend $50. Went to a gun/knife show and didnt see anythign I really liked all that much...but I did see a knife for $95 that I REALLY liked...so I reluctantly bought it, thinking the whole time...I can not belive I am spending this much on a KNIFE!

That knife opened my eye's...now I can see spending up to anywhere around $500 for any single knife. I have not been able to talk myself into a $850 MD Panther yet
wink.gif

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.

I started my business with little money at a flea market. Back then I could not understand how anyone would need to spend more than 20 buck for a good knife. Then I started gun shows and raised it to $50. Well I have spent over $8,000 for a knife now. But $10,000 is too much
wink.gif

Actually to a collector you look at the possibility of the value increasing. Kind of like buying art at that point. You should see the OTF Darrel is making for me! I will post pics when I get it.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator

Back