Why is DMT Diamomd spray dulling my blade?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by CoryS, Jul 7, 2020.

1. CoryS

CoryS

Apr 23, 2020
    After I finish sharpening I move on to a 3 micron yellow diamond paste strop. That builds up a fairly nice mirror edge. When I move to one with a DMT .5 micron Diamomd spray it takes the mirror polish down to a very hazy one, and the edge is noticably less keen. It's to the point I am wondering if I have a fake product, or I'm just some how really using it wrong.

2. Some possibilities:

* Make sure the 0.5 micron strop isn't leaving some sort of gummy residue on the edge. I don't know what sort of suspension (oil, water, other) is used with DMT's spray compounds. But if it's an oil-based suspension, it might leave some sticky residue on an edge.

* What substrate material is used for the strop? Leather? If so, it may be a little too soft, or pressure used is too heavy, causing the leather to wrap around the edge and round off the apex. Might try the spray on hard, smooth wood instead - see if you get the same or better result.

* Was the strop previously used with a different compound? If so, it might be too contaminated or otherwise dirty enough to degrade any benefit from the 0.5 micron compound.

3. Craig James

Craig James

Oct 30, 2018
    Agree with the above post it’s either:

- The spray is a fake and/or is contaminated
    - The strop is contaminated
    - your hazy polish is residue and a good clean will show the mirror edge

4. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    You can also dull your edge on a strop even with rhe higest quality compound. If you are not stopping correctly.

willc likes this.
  5. Craig James

Craig James

Oct 30, 2018
    Wouldn’t stop you getting a polished (all be it dull) bevel though

Bigfattyt likes this.
  6. CoryS

CoryS

Apr 23, 2020
    It's on a smooth leather strop I made, that has a brown dye on it. I'll try just wood.

I've tried both, but for future reference should I be stroping on it wet, or wait for it to dry?

7. With DMT's paste compounds (I've used these), it's best to wait a while - maybe up to a day or so - for it to dry, because it does tend to leave a messy residue on the edge if used wet. With the spray, maybe do the same. As I mentioned before, I don't know what the spray's suspension is. So it may or may not leave a residue.