Why is the 580 Barrage so underrated?

Just wondering why people love the Griptillians and the 940's so much. I know it's a matter of opinion but I saw some BF polls a while back and those two were the overwhelming favorites.

My first EDC was a 580, and I've abused the crap out of it and it still works like a champ. The spring assist is awesome, the safety isn't intrusive and works great, the list goes on. Since then I've bought 710's, 810's, 551's and on and on, but none seem to compare to the ease of the 580. Anyone fill me in?

Different tastes and likes would be my guess. I had a 580 and it felt a bit bulky, compared to say the 943 or 710 and even the 556. I like the knife and all, but personally I just like the others a bit more. The M390 version is very nice and I might pick one up.

Not a big fan of the griptilian either. I have the 580 and it's a great knife except the plastic handles are comfortable but way too slippery. Especially for a sweaty pig like me!
So far my favorite bm is the Volli .

Didn't like the Barrage 580/583 with the Valox handles. Not too fond of the Axis-Assist opening either. Did get the 581 & 586 with G-10 and M390 last year before the implicit price hike and they were quite a bargain! The handle is kind of bulky but comfortable and grippy with the G-10.

By the way, in that poll, the Barrage Family is tied for 6th place with AFCK.

Last edited:
I think BKC should sold 580/583/585 with G10 instead of Valox. The grip will definitely improve as you can sand down G10 to your liking.

I think the G-10 scales make a huge difference and should've been a stock item. There was a limited run of 50 units from the Warrriors and Wonders shop in Canada from a couple of years back and I managed to buy a couple of these. Here's pics:

...enjoy!

Because it is assisted.

If it were a manual it would sell better than it does now. I guarantee that.

Lots of people are scared of the AFCK, it's a whole lot of knife and most don't want to risk carrying such a large folder around given their local statutes.

I think the G-10 scales make a huge difference and should've been a stock item. There was a limited run of 50 units from the Warrriors and Wonders shop in Canada from a couple of years back and I managed to buy a couple of these. Here's pics:

...enjoy!

That looks fantastic, I agree this is how it needs to come standard. Benchmades have become too expensive to get away with slapping on plastic handles.

I also think the Barrage being assisted is maybe what holds people back. One of the biggest draws to the Axis lock, for me at least, is that it can be closed as quickly as it's opened. I really like the blade and handle shape on the Barrage line. Scales could be slightly thinner though IMO.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to offer it in both regular Axis and Axis-Assist. Kind of how Benchmade offers some modes in regular Axis and Auto. That way they can appeal to those who like the assist feature and those who don't.

Last edited:
I don't think it would be a bad idea to offer it in both regular Axis and Axis-Assist. Kind of how Benchmade offers some modes in regular Axis and Auto. That way they can appeal to those who like the assist feature and those who don't.

If you're a rebel and willing to take it apart, you could just remove the Assist Spring ;)

I just don't care for the assist, as Axis knives just don't need it, IMO. Just as easy to open without, and much easier to close.

Another note on the G-10 versions is the scales are a little thinner, making it easier on the pocket. But even still I prefer slimmer knives like the good old manual 710. As far as assisted goes, I don't mind the Barrage models, but think the Nitrous versions, like on the 912/913 Strykers with the mechanism guilt in the liners are smoother to open and easier to close.

The 581 is my only Benchmade. De-assisted it, and it's perfect. The only other ones I'm interested in are a Dejavoo or mini-Dejavoo.

I had a 581 for a time and I sold it. Not sure why I did that, as it was pretty darn cool. I think the only thing that bothered me were the striations on the bolsters. Felt they could have done without those. Can't say the assisted opening bothered me too much but I did wonder they had it in there. All in all a great knife that makes for a great all-round EDC.

I have the m390 version; I tried it. Not for me. The steal is awesome, they lost me at the aluminum bolsters. Too aggressive for my liking.
If anyone wants a used one w/ box and paperwork; I'm your guy.

Back