1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is the Compact so expensive?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by Etna, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Etna

Etna

Jun 17, 2015
    For a two-layer 91mm SAK, the Compact is probably the most expensive model ever. It costs almost 2.5x a Tinker, and easily 1.5x more standard Alox models.

Just what's so special about the Compact?

2. michaelm466

michaelm466

Mar 5, 2009
    That is a good question, I bought a couple on clearance from a website last year for $10 each, should have bought at least 5 though

3. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    They use a very expensive shrink ray to make it compact. The price is to defray the cost of developing that shrink ray.

But seriously I have no idea, the only thing that seems to make it special is that it is the thinnest 91mm knife apparently.

4. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Maybe the Pro scales (toothpick, tweezers, pen, pin) and mini flat head add to the cost? Most of the 91mm SAKs with scissors tend to be on the more expensive side too.

Who knows though. It seems like the more sense the tools on a SAK make, the more expensive and likely to be discontinued it is (bring back the Yeoman dangit!).

5. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    The pricing of different models of SAK's has always been a mystery to me.

For many years, I shunned the executive, and it was mostly because I couldn't see paying almost triple what a classic was, more than a 91mm tinker or spartan was, and just abut what an alox pioneer was. The executive is a 74mm knife.

But I was gifted one last summer and after a few months of use, I now love the executive and I can see a higher price, but I still think it's ridicules what they charge for one.

The compact is another Victorinox that I can't see why it's as expensive as it is!

On the other hand, a little Case peanut is between 30 and 40 dollars depending on what handle scales you get, so maybe a little equal size pocket knife with two blades, scissors, nail file with a tip that deals with Phillips screws well, and a serrated edge orange peeler that makes a great zip tie cutter ain't too bad?:confused:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  6. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    Because it’s compact? :)
    Bring back Scientist and Yeoman ... :thumbsup:

7. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Are you actually wondering why, or just venting?

The Compact uses a combo tool with a larger pivot hole than the Waiter and it's relatives. As far as I know, it is the only 91mm using it, which means it is a low volume part. It is likely made in small batches at infrequent intervals, and keeping it in inventory is problematic and therefore expensive. The Compact itself is a low volume model, which is likely adding to the expense.

8. Piso Mojado

Piso Mojado Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Their production is sales driven. Their best seller by far is the 58 mm Classic, distantly trailed by the Spartan (and Tinker in the USA). Higher production means more knives in inventory meaning better discounts and more "sales events." But I suspect they also watch the demand for their discontinued models on resale markets. The Lumberjack and 84 mm Tinker were revived, and the 84 mm Climber and 84 mm Hunter were replaced by the Delémont Collection.

9. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Is it selling at the price it is offered? Yes. There ya go. Capitalism 101:D

afishhunter, Ace Rimmer and Fixall like this.
  10. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Darm straight! I think it's the best EDC SAK in production right now.

[​IMG]

jmh33 likes this.
  11. Dfunk1210

Dfunk1210

Apr 7, 2015
    The fact that this comes with the corkscrew mini screwdriver, ballpoint, and the pin probably factors into the cost. Those make this smallish SAK a rather unique one.

EDIT: I think I need one of these

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  12. Frankki

Frankki

Oct 26, 2007
    Didn't know about the combo tool having a larger/non-standard pivot, interesting to hear. If it makes the tool and knife somewhat stronger, all the better. All the extra goodies might also explain the pricing. What I have been thinking is that there is also the special hook tool with nail file surface added, can't estimate how much more it costs to put that stippling on it but it's got to be something.