Why is the ESEE-5 so unloved?

That's the only reason I own one. It rides in the vehicle to break glass and pry doors should that be needed. About worthless for anything else, IMO. The machete in my truck sees far, far more use than the 5.

OK, so I ordered one.

Would I have been better off with a crowbar?:cool:

On paper all the dimensions looked like it would work out well for me. However, upon actually buying one, it seemed short for its weight. I sold it and have to echo what some of the others have said: the 4 or 6 seem to actually work out better for practical use.

Gimme a 5 over any other RAT, any day.

Pair it with the Cold Steel Ghurka Kuk and you got the makin' for never needin to see a human face for a long time in the bush...

PS I still heart my BK2, too.

I wanted a knife I could count on in harsh conditions. I have a smaller knife with a thinner blade, a bigger knife, an axe, a saw and a machete but my primary knife is the 5. I use it most of the time. It's not the best for carving, not the best for chopping neither for gutting/skinning an animal, it's heavy and "thick as a brick".. but I can do all the tasks that need done in the woods/mountains or urban environments with it and it's probably unbreakable. Even if it breaks there's the ESEE lifetime warranty covering it. I love the 5.

I know it seems excessive, but I think my perfect combo would be my 5, a 4 (or 3MIL) and a Junglas. I'd add a Izula but I almost always have a pocket knife (or two or three!) of some sort that would work the same (HEST/F and a TOPS/Buck CSAR-T Responder in a sheath at the moment) That way I cover all my bases.

Not unloved at all...It's on my list and very near the top....Is there a 12 step recovery plan for ESEE addiction. Let me know, so i can run the other way. The 5 is a beast.

Not unloved at all...It's on my list and very near the top....Is there a 12 step recovery plan for ESEE addiction. Let me know, so i can run the other way. The 5 is a beast.
Why would you need a cure?? Anyone with an ESEE addiction is, in the immortal words of Charlie Sheen, "Winning!"

The ESEE-5 is much loved by those who like a very stout knife. Like most things, you have to appreciate it for what it is, for what it was made for. It's not 'bushcraft' knife. The nice ESEE folks make more suitable tools for such things. My RC-5 was one of my first ESEEs and it impressed me so much, I've bought a few more.

Do I like my RC-5? Absolutely!

SP

I use my 4 more than any other in the line up. But if I need to chop..go grab the machete. Use the right tool for the job if you have the choice to do so with multiple knives.

For many reasons and some not so practical, I really like my 5.

If I had to be left with only 1 ESEE blade, it would be the 5. It would do an adequate job on most tasks and easily will last through WHATEVER was thrown at it.

Love my ESEE-5. Haven't added an Izula or a 6 yet but love taking out my 5. Put a convex edge on it and absolutely love the performance!

ESEE5.jpg

If I start carrying an ESEE, it will be a 5. That will probably be the only one, too. I love everything about that knife. What it was designed for and beyond. Also, I think it just might be the one knife/sheathing system that is perfect for survival. The sheathing system, to me, is what puts it over the top. What more can you ask from a knife that will take everything you can dish at it, and that has a sheath system designed to carry a survival tin neatly and compact. I've even seen guys add the ESEE fire kit to the mix. Absolutely perfect, IMO.

The Esee 6 can be carried the same as the Esee 5....

I love both blades

I've got an ESEE-5 and Junglas, and both of them are great, but the 5 is awesome in my opinion, and I have always preferred thicker knives, and not having to worry about jacking them up to bad during hard use.

Folks, looks like the *5 will be the next ESEE purchase. I am putting together a bag to keep in the car for the summer. I have a few "friends" that always seem to call me on Friday afternoons to see if I want to go wet a line after work, and this normally translate into getting home sometime around noon on Saturday. Figure with a few items of comfort, fire, food, etc., this should make a pretty decent knife for splitting, cutting, chopping, etc. for just that occasional evening & for camping. Great knife from all the posts, but like all the ESEE products, has it's niche where it is best.
Thanks to all for taking the time to posts their comments and opinions.
Be safe.

Back