Why knives cost what they do...Part Deux

Les Robertson

BANNED
For those of you who attended the NY Custom knife show, I hope you enjoyed it. Great selection of makers and knives.

One thing that will have a negative affect on the future shows is the cost of the table.

It was raised again this year from $600 to $650. If you did not give a deposit before you left and then decided to attend next years show, the price for a table is $750.00.

Thats right $750 for a six foot table. What does this mean to you the custom knife buyer.

You can expect prices on knives to go up. You can expect less of a selection as the table fee alone will eliminate a lot of new makers and medium range makers.

Couple the table fee going up, hotel rooms going up, air fare going up. This show is now the most expensive show to do in the US.

Im sure all the fee increases are justified as NY is a very expensive city to do business in.

Also, LaGuardia Airport is going to hold a lottery for the different airlines to see who gets what time frames for departures and arrivals.

What does this mean to those flying to the show. A increase in air fare, as prime time space will be at a premium.

That Spirit of Steel Show and the Southeastern Custom Knife Show and Chesapeake Bay Knife Collectors Show (all around $150 for a table) are really looking good!

That Internet Thing ain't a bad option either!

------------------
Les Robertson
Custom Knife Entrepreneur

http://www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com

Les said "Im sure all the fee increases are justified as NY is a very expensive city to do business in."
I think thats an excellent reason we should try to have a Bladeforums knife show someplace not so pricey.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Originally posted by Les Robertson:
<snip>Im sure all the fee increases are justified as NY is a very expensive city to do business in.
<snip>

A novel idea - How about holding it in Queens or New Jersey instead of Manhattan? Should be a HECK of a lot cheaper

The New York show is definately going to be different. As already mentined there is no reason why it has to be held in the most expensive area in the city or even in the city at all. If the show gets where it's only going to be high end makers
it's on it's way out in my opinion.
As a customer I don't see people paying more for a knife just because they're buying it in New York. I doubt we'll see higher knife prices as a problem except maybe with dealers being unable to move much on knife prices.

Les hit home with this one. I went in early
Friday to have breakfast with a maker. We met
in the lobby of the show hotel and decided to
stay there. Bacon and eggs for two: $37.00 plus tax and tip. I live in the area and was still in shock.

Win

The whole thing comes down to logistics (hate that word but it is the only one that applies). Knife shows have to be held where people can get to them easily and it really helps if the show is located in the center of a lot of people. This rules out my cousin's barn in Meaford...hard to get to, little local accomodation and small local population.

We are stuck holding shows in large population centers with accomodation and good access to transportation (air) in order to draw enough attendance to make the show economically viable for the exhibitors. I say exhibitors because without them there is no show.

So why are custom knives so expensive? If your favourite maker makes two knives per week with a two week vacation each year that adds up to 100 knives per year. A show like New York or Atlanta will run $2500 minimum in table, accomodation, travel, food, and other out of pocket expense if you watch your pennies closely. Do two shows per year or a total of $5000. That means that each knife made has had $50 added to it just because the maker went to the two shows. I understand that Vegas is cheaper but then my wife would want to go....by by budget.

So I hope you folks don't mind but I for one am going to stick around home until I am a famous knifemaker and get big bucks for my knives.

------------------
george
www.tichbourneknives.com
sales@tichbourneknives.com

Win Heger, you must understand:

Bacon and eggs may just be a day's work for the chicken, but it is a lifetime commitment for the pig.
wink.gif

George and Les both bring up a good point. While the New York show may be a little bit of an extreme, this holds true for any show you go to.

Why is the Little Rock show held at the Hilton? Little Rock has international flights/connections and the Hilton runs a shuttle back and forth to the airport.

Now for the basic economics:

Lets say I drive in from Texas or Oklahoma (whether in a rental car or personal vehicle) I have wear and tear in addition to gasoline = ~$100 roundtrip. 2 nights motel somewhere cheap = ~$80. Three days of meals = ~$90. This ignores other incidentals. For this $270 in travel expense, I could buy a Geno Denning and George Tichbourne knife at risk (both of them), for less then my travel costs. Granted I don't get the fun of walking the show and meeting all the makers but, between phone calls, email and, the joy of using a good knife I can justify not going to the show and adding a few select pieces to my collection.

I should note though, that my travel costs to go to the Blade show in Atlanta will easily be in excess of $1500 but, I will still go
smile.gif

Stay Sharp,
Sid

[This message has been edited by Sid Post (edited 11-18-2000).]

Originally posted by Les Robertson:

Southeastern Custom Knife Show and Chesapeake Bay Knife Collectors Show (all around $150 for a table) are really looking good!

Come on back to NC, we're glad to have you.

------------------
John Broome
jbroome@yahoo.com

HI John,

I have been doing the show since its inception in Raleigh-Durham. Sales wise it has never been one of my best shows.

However, someting always happens that makes the show worth doing. This past show I sold a total of 2 knives. While at the show I bought 15 from makers, dealers and customers walking through the door. I sold 12 of those within days of getting home.

The show is only a 2 1/2 hour trip from my house, tables are reasonable, hotel accomodations are great, food is very reasonable, hell they feed you for free on Saturady night. They also have breakfast and snacks for you throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday.

Tommy McNabb and his crew put on a first class show. Having promoted custom knife shows I know that a promotor can only do so much. Either the customers come or they don't.

Tommy got my deposit for next years show before I left.

------------------
Les Robertson
www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Custom Knife Entrepreneur

Back