Why remove price after item is sold?

I noticed most members remove/replace the price after an item is sold so it's no longer visible. Why is this a common practice?

As a newbie and not having good background information on how much items go for, it would be nice to see historical information.

Just wondering...

I try to leave the price and just type SPF in bold print next to it. I also put SOLD on the thread listing so folks don't waste all of their time reading your ad and then find out, on the last post, that it has been sold. What a waste of time that is!
Some people likely remove the price because they have settled for a reduced sale price. Every time you see a prospective buyer post "email sent," that probably means that they are trying to get the seller to accept either a trade item or a lower price. However, they could just be asking a question about the knife's scale color also.

It's up to the person selling whether they leave the price or remove it, we don't get involved in that.

I understand, I was not asking for anyone to get involved. I was just trying to understand the rationale. Thanks.

It irritates me to no end as well. Most message boards REQUIRE that the sale price stay listed. This is the only one I know of that doesn't do that. It's their board and their way, but it is annoying.

I think the idea is to not freeze the price of a particular item at what it had sold for in the past.

It irritates me to no end as well. Most message boards REQUIRE that the sale price stay listed.

I, personally, don't like the removal of prices. One of the criteria for economists to call something a "market" is transparency. On a public stock exchange, for example, every trade is reported on "the ticker," and, even more important these days, all trades can be reviewed on a computer by anyone. The result is an open market that establishes the value of things. Bladeforums does not operate an open market and, as a result, sales here have little value in establishing the value of a knife. Our new member here has expressed this frustration. He wonders about the value of a knife and is frustrated that he can't use historical data from our sales forum for that because some people selfishly remove the data. He can't even use what data are here because this isn't an open market and so what data are here cannot be deemed reliable.

I used the word "selfish" deliberately. I do think that it is selfish to withhold from the community that one contribution you could give back, that one piece of data. The only reasons I can come up with to withhold it all boil down to one thing: selfishness.

I wish that people would think about how they would benefit overall from an open market and how selfish it is to refuse to participate and that that would encourage them to leave the prices up.

Back