Why ricochets?

I would like to question the use of ricochets (using the back of the hand to bounce off the balisong). Although I´m not an advanced balisong player, I do most of the basic openings/closings for a few years now, and I´ve never found ricochets to be useful for me. I open/close mostly without letting any parts of the balisong touch the back of my hand, and it works fine for me. I don´t have any problems with bite handle openings or fully sharpened double edge balis, I always use the same techniques.
Do ricochets give advantages that I just haven´t discovered yet? Someone here to enlighten me?

------------------
"Peace is not without conflict; it is the ability to cope with conflict" - Leo Giron

Stylistic differences. If you want to develop a style without, that's great.

Those moves that require richoching the back of the blade are especially limiting since they preclude any double-edged blade.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

What you're saying is absolutely true.......... on the surface.

I agree that there's open & closed, and thats about as far as it needs to go. But, there are times when things don't go as expected.

The Balisong has the potential, more than any other knife (in my opinion), for a failed opening. The connection is lost and the handle swing dies, the handle hits something, a finger gets in the way, your hand gets hit, one handle bounces off of the other, etc.

~Ricochets are a good method of recovery if an opening goes less than perfect.

~You can also use them to bounce from one grip to another.

~They help build strength and confidence in your fingers, hands, AND your techniques.

I look at it this way: "If you're not prepared for everything, you're not prepared for anything".

------------------
Clay
www.balisongxtreme.com
Because......
getting 'em open
is half the fun!

Back