Why the GEC #42 @ 4 1/4" long

OK, I'm starting to get a little tempted...

Seen the beaver tail version with Brazillian cherry, GEC have jigged the wood quite chunkily which shows it off really nicely. I'm also a fan of the rounded bolster which was quite hard to find on the #73's and #23's......

Hmm, 440C single drop point blade without a swedge please.

Sam

and once again GEC ruins a nice looking knife with a "gaudy "Missouri Trapper" etch on the secondary blade of some of the knives. Talk about cheesy!!!

428212mstrprcopperheadj.jpg

Last edited:
I don't mind the etches --they come off. I do wish that they'd use more old timey shields. The Un-X-LD shields, Tidioute, hotdog, and cloud shields are getting tiresome.

edit: The acorn shield can stay.

That's an interesting point. A wider variety of shiels might be a good way for GEC to go.

That ebony in the post above with that little stripe of lighter wood :drool: I must have it....

I wouldn't say tiresome, but would welcome more variety.

Whew-- close one!

~ P.

I know better than to mess with the acorn. :)

That's an interesting point. A wider variety of shiels might be a good way for GEC to go.

In my opinion, some of their best shields were for the small orders like the shields on the 85 pattern forum knife and the Charlie's 85 pattern harness jack. They did have some old timey shields on some of their toothpick and congress knives but they haven't used these much and they haven't varied their shields much.

On contract knives.... they used a bullet shield for the Bradford Single Shot knives (though it was not a particularly good likeness of a bullet... looked like something made by Lifestyles ;) ) ...a dog's paw for the Dog Paw knives... a dog bone for Bulldog knives... a donkey for Krack-A-Jack knives... a fish for Good Old Days Cutlery... and a federal shield for Tuna Valley Cutlery... and a Schrade shield for Taylor Brands...

So I don't think it should be a problem to mix up their own shields a bit more.

Also, I prefer their shields without any text on them... for example, the Tidioute shield looks much better without any text--in my opinion. I think they may have only omitted the text on a few of their knives like this micarta Calf Roper.

IMG_5377_2.jpg

This is the first I've heard of this knife but I'm pumped about it. I used my 73 for the first time cutting calves yesterday and I could help wishing I had a little more length on my spey blade. I've always thought the 23 would be a bit to big to pack around and 4 1/14" is still a skosh long than I had in mind but beggars can be choosers. I'd deffinatly be getting one.

Ben

Edit: I went back to look at the picture and realized I got really excited for nothing. No spey blade. Bummer.

Back