Wicked Edge Sharpening Advice

I just purchased a wicked edge go. I’m wondering what would be the best edge degree for an Impinda.

Thanks, for your feedback.

Last edited:
If you want to keep the factory edge, use a sharpie to mark the edge and go from there. I'd suggest that if you want to change the edge, do so one degree at a time.
As far as what is the best edge degree, that will depend on what you're doing with the knife. I put lateral stress on some of my knives and too thin of an edge doesn't fair well with a thinner edge. Most of my folders are also used for work, and yes that includes the Impinda in which I've scraped burrs off PVC pipe. It was the one I had out at the time.
What I've learned is to take the edge angle down slowly and stop when I like it.

Where do you run your (similar pocket) knives? If dialing up a specific edge geometry is new, I might suggest starting with another knife for practice. Now, don't get me wrong - I bought the W.E. and started out with a fairly decent pocket knife and was comfortable sharpening a rather expensive Shiro in a very short time (the 4th knife I sharpened). Just get comfortable with the technique and clamping the blade (nearly a full flat grind).

As far as actual angle, I like my pocket knives around 18-20 dps. Seems a good balance between slicing and edge retention, and mimics factory edges pretty well.

Prior 2 posts are both very good and I highly endorse the use of the sharpie and getting use to the system on a cheap knife. You certainly can just jump into the deep water and start on a good knife, but you will be more than pissed if it turns out bad.
Be sure to record your WE settings for future reference

I haven’t done and Impinda yet, but I’ve been regularly sharpening all other CRK folders on the wicked edge for a few years now. I’d recommend 18 degrees, no more than 20. The Impindas I’ve handled seem ground very thin behind the edge, and have s good distil taper, so they might do well with an even more acute angle, but I’d start at 18.

I normally sharpen my pocket knives at about a 20 degree angle. With the wicked edge I’m working my way through the kitchen knives until I get a feel for it. My concern it rounding the tip of the knife.

Thanks, for your advice!

I had my Wicked Edge for over a year before I sharpened my Sebenza at 20 deg. I did a number of other folders getting used to the sharpener and playing with different angles.

I normally sharpen my pocket knives at about a 20 degree angle. With the wicked edge I’m working my way through the kitchen knives until I get a feel for it. My concern it rounding the tip of the knife.

Thanks, for your advice!

In case you don't know-the key to not rounding the tip is to avoid running the stones completely off the tip

I put my Impinda on the wicked edge.

Top Hole position, Distance B, 21 DPS.

My large Seb, large Inkosi, and Umnumzaan are all 20 DPS, but the sharpie test was not getting close to hitting the apex on the impinda , and I didn’t feel like grinding away that much material. Tweeked it one degree, and found it to be a quick and simple sharpening.

Back