Wicked Edge - Truely a Precision Sharpening Device?

I'd love for this to be a review on how great the Wicked Edge is... yet I haven't even been able to try it due to poor QC

I bought the Pro Pack on 3/18, finally received it on 5/4. I pulled the base out of the box and set it on the table. I then carefully opened the sharpener and set it down on top of the base. I pulled the screws out, stuck them in the bottom of the base, and began to screw the sharpener in. First screw went in no problem, moved to the next one... wait, it won't line up?!

After 10 minutes of tinkering, I decided to pull out the template that Wicked Edge sends with their sharpener. Sure enough, their base isn't drilled to their own specs. It's called a precision sharpener, but the base isn't even drilled to the paper spec sheet they send in the box?

I'm afraid to try the rest of the sharpener, the base is just simple drilling, the rest of it is much more complex. Of course it had to come on a Friday, and I have no idea if WE even checks messages on weekends.

Hopefully this gets resolved quickly - over 6 weeks of waiting for the sharpener to come (including not getting it for my Birthday, which is what I was hoping on), and I finally received it with disappointment before I can even try to use it.

My base was somewhat the same. I had to drill out one of the holes in order to mount the machine. But....i'm very happy with it! I've tried many other systems and this one works the best for me very quick and exact. I think youll like it!

It's not the fastest method, but it will leave an edge screaming sharp if you're
willing to take the time. I have a Shun Classic knife that when "tuned up"
on my WE will just about fall through a ripe tomato.
Bill

PS. I made ny own base out of a granite surface plate i had hanging around.
Holes lined up just fine.:D

Mine fit flawlessly, must have been a recent run that had an issue. If you drop a message to Clay, he'll take care of that for you in very short order, or you can just re-drill the hole yourself. I'd probably do it myself, just to save time.

The sharpener itself works EXTREMELY well, it's well worth watching Clay's videos on use and techniques (he has a lot of them) and also reading through the Wicked Edge forum. There's a LOT of useful information there, with different tweaks and things people have tried and used / failed miserably at. I sure like mine!

Yup, my machine came perfect and its from the new run so i guess you got a lemon on the base.

I just saw this post come up - have you had a chance to call in? If not, please do and we'll get you squared away immediately. Also, I'm curious if you went with the stock Wicked Edge base in the Pro Pack or if you upgraded to the Quartzstone; the reason I ask is that we don't drill the Quartzstone bases in house but we do drill the Wicked Edge bases in house. We had to send back a bunch of Quartzstone bases due to bad drilling last week. If it's a Wicked Edge base, I'll want to know right away.

I'd love for this to be a review on how great the Wicked Edge is... yet I haven't even been able to try it due to poor QC

I bought the Pro Pack on 3/18, finally received it on 5/4. I pulled the base out of the box and set it on the table. I then carefully opened the sharpener and set it down on top of the base. I pulled the screws out, stuck them in the bottom of the base, and began to screw the sharpener in. First screw went in no problem, moved to the next one... wait, it won't line up?!

After 10 minutes of tinkering, I decided to pull out the template that Wicked Edge sends with their sharpener. Sure enough, their base isn't drilled to their own specs. It's called a precision sharpener, but the base isn't even drilled to the paper spec sheet they send in the box?

I'm afraid to try the rest of the sharpener, the base is just simple drilling, the rest of it is much more complex. Of course it had to come on a Friday, and I have no idea if WE even checks messages on weekends.

Hopefully this gets resolved quickly - over 6 weeks of waiting for the sharpener to come (including not getting it for my Birthday, which is what I was hoping on), and I finally received it with disappointment before I can even try to use it.

I just saw this post come up - have you had a chance to call in? If not, please do and we'll get you squared away immediately. Also, I'm curious if you went with the stock Wicked Edge base in the Pro Pack or if you upgraded to the Quartzstone; the reason I ask is that we don't drill the Quartzstone bases in house but we do drill the Wicked Edge bases in house. We had to send back a bunch of Quartzstone bases due to bad drilling last week. If it's a Wicked Edge base, I'll want to know right away.

Hi Clay,

I called right away - generally speaking in my experience, it's not about the mistakes, but how you handle them ;). I expected to hear from you guys today (and did, got a call around 4:30). Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the woman I talked to today at WE - she was extremely pleasant and helpful. I paid the difference and upgraded to the granite base as a replacement - it looks very nice in all of the pictures I've seen.

For my original order, I did not upgrade the base with the order, it is the stock Wicked Edge base with the Pro Pack. The screw hole was off by a very small amount (about 1/2 a screw hole). It was off enough that there was no possible way to screw it in, but not enough to not be able to try. With the longer screws, I was able to touch the hole in the sharpener by leaning the screw at the max angle (and could've cross-threaded the screw if I wanted to).

I held the template over the holes - it's definitely the base and not the sharpener. I drilled a couple of holes in a folding table on Sunday morning and it the sharpener fit flawlessly using those holes in the template. If you'd like me to take any pictures, etc. I'd be glad to try to get the measurements or angles you're looking for.

I tried using the sharpener last night - I definitely need some practice! My first attempt was awful, second attempt went much smoother. I'll get it down eventually :)

WindMeUp, besides your issue with the base, I can honestly tell you that yes the WE system is truly THE highest precision sharpener made today. I am an avid sharpener, if there is such a thing. I use my hands and stones, the Edge Pro, and just about every other system there is. I don't use systems because I need them, I can free hand and get ridiculously sharp edges if I want to. I use the systems because I appreciate the perfect bevels they give, and the engineering behind them. After using the Edge Pro for almost 2 years, I switched to the WE. After a short learning period I am now producing edges that the EP only wished it could make. Seriously, the sharpness of the blades coming straight out of the clamp are FAR beyond anything I ever got with the EP, even using the Chosera stones.

Anyway, stick with it and you will be amazed with the results you get. Kay, Clay, and Kyle have been more than helpful each of the (hundreds, lol) times I have called with a question. The system plus the great people behind it are great. It is an excellent time to be a knife enthusiast!

Well said CTS and as for the Customer Service and product support from Clay and his Team - second to none. Great product. Great results.

Amen, Clay, Kay, Kyle Et Al hve always helped me with my problem and even with their errors. It truly is how you handle the issues. Now if they could only keep rpoduct in stock...... lol

I recently purchased a WE. I have used an EP fro several years. I am still forming an opinion but it is starting to take the shape of "What can I use the EP for that the WE will not do better?"

When I contacted Clay about some issues he and his team stepped right up and resolved it. The only thing sharper than the WE is Clay and his team. They REALLY do a FANTASTIC job at customer support.

I have Also dealt with Mr. Dale @ EP. He too is a quality person and his product is also well built.

I agree that the Wicked Edge is up there with the best in its ability to get great edges.
I also often notice that many people talk of the great customer service and how problems are sorted fairly quickly (when they read their emails), also true.
My concern is that it also means many people have had problems and need this service.

I think quality control has been an issue, I've noticed a lot of silly mistakes have been made since I've been a customer.
I can only hope it all comes together soon and Clay reaps the rewards of stability.

There is always talk of an even better product around the corner, I would like to see this one perfected first.
It's not a cheap investment and the thought that improvements might be seen as an upgrade with an additional cost is a concern.

But I do get great edges! ;)

Back