1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Widowmakers, Salamanders and a cool new trap !

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by pitdog, Oct 26, 2012.

1. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    I'd only been hiking for about five minutes today when I came across this huge Douglas Fir that had come down and blocked the trail !

It's Widowmaker time of the year here in the PNW so take care guys !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was packing my Breeden Taiga again today, wanted to test it out some more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd wanted to try out a new trap today, I think you call them Yoke traps. The ones I'd seen previously had been designed to be used on trails and relied on the animal pushing through to get caught. I wanted to come up with a way of using a baited trigger. This is what I ended up with :

[​IMG]

Sorry the pics aren't very clear, the weather today was just horrible and it affected the camera at times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A took a poor video of it being triggered, the apple fell off just prior to me filming and by this time I couldn't even be bothered to put it back on, this is why I like bait such as peanut butter that can be smeared on the bait stick.

[youtube]TC6ue0ww_bc&feature[/youtube]

On my way back along the trail I came across this really pretty Salamander, she was a fair bit larger than those I'd previously seen, she still blended in so well that I nearly trod on her !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a cutie eh !

[​IMG]

2. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5

Jan 6, 2006
    Boy I wish I had a new knife.LOL. Like the trap and the knife ain't bad either.

3. mewolf1

mewolf1 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Good times Pit. Are the Chantrelles done out there? Shaggy Parasols should be poppin too.:thumbup:

4. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Didn't see any Chanterelles this year, I have seen some Shaggy Manes though !

5. mewolf1

mewolf1 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 24, 2005
    I saw a Doug Fir like that in Bremmerton that was nearly all Fat wood. I nearly wet myself.:D

6. sicily02

sicily02

Nov 23, 2005
    Awesome pics, neat trap too. I hope that knife performed great for ya. Love the Salamader pics too.
    I would like to have been able to see and hear that tree fall. What a sight that would have been.

Bryan

7. fujita yuji

fujita yuji

Jul 12, 2008
    that's a cool looking adorable one.

the trap looks nice especially you have an animal track (and who's using is).

Thanks for sharing.

8. ghostguy6

ghostguy6

Aug 30, 2006
  9. protourist

protourist Have you ever caught me lying to you before? Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Cool pics Pit.
    The skin on the newt reminds me of the handles on the JAB line from Kabar. Very cool.

10. coaldigger

coaldigger

Jan 27, 2007
    Cool trap 'Ol Bud ! That knife looks sweet !