Wilderness exploration with a David Mary field knife

Don't mess with this. 🤯🤯🤯

PSLJCXd.jpg
so huggable! 🥰🥰🥰

remember kids, when it crinkles up like that it's getting ready to give you a big kiss.

It's really not that bad. People talk about Australia being dangerous, but there's only a few places you have to watch out for:

- Anywhere there's long grass or thick ground cover, tiger snakes, red-bellied black snakes, etc. can bite you at any time. A few trips into the bush ago I had a very large brown snake (second most venemous snake in the world) literally jump off a pile of rocks above me, and fly through the air towards my chest trying to bite me. So avoid those areas if you're worried about getting bitten.

- Anywhere there are logs or fallen branches, you can get funnel web spiders. They have a bite so strong they can pierce a thumbnail. I once had to pressure bandage a woman's entire leg and rush her off to the emergency room after she sat on a log at dusk and was bitten by a funnel web.

- Anywhere under trees, things can jump on you. I once chased a large goanna (a lizard that grows to 2 metres long) up a tree, but then when we weren't looking it fell off and almost landed on someones head (they are heavy!). They're also aggressive and will charge you. I've had to fight them off with brooms around the house. My friend had to go to hospital after a big one charged her and bit a chunk out of her hand. In the rainforests up north, you also have to watch out for Cassowary's, one of the world's largest birds with a poisonous hook on their feet that they attack people with.

- Anywhere in the water, we have blue octopus, box jellyfish, saltwater crocs and sharks. Probably best to stay out of the water.

So as long as you don't go in the grass, near logs, under trees or in the water you'll be fine.

Basically, the desert is completely safe! Apart from being an area the size of Europe with no water and hardly any roads. Actually now that I think about it, the desert also has the Inland Taipan "An average bite yields 44mg of venom, which could kill 25–30 people."

So stay inside the house and you'll be fine. Apart from bushfires.
I only have to contend with grouchy Grizzly bears, concealed Mountain lions, near sighted moose, and ticks (I don't really go in on hatred of anything, but ticks come very close to that level of dislike).

I'm glad your still around to write about it all, but you can keep all that stuff.

so is magnacut everything you hoped it would be Currawong Currawong ?

I've been clearing hundreds (maybe even thousands) of saplings that have been growing up around my property lately, by hand. We had bushfires which dumped ash everywhere two years ago, then two years of heavy rain that doubled the average annual rainfall (I've been getting about 1,500 mm / 60" per year). So trees have been growing up everywhere. Most of them I pull out by hand, but the ones that are too big have to be cut. So I carried either the magnacut field knife or pigsticker (which is ground very thin) on my belt and chopped probably a hundred trees as thick as my wrist with them. I hit dirt and rocks on occasion. To my surprise, no damage so far. I specifically thought the thin-ground pigsticker would take damage, but it didn't. I've used 52100 for this type of work in the past and it has chipped or rolled doing the same work. And the pigsticker, being as sharp as it is, would cut through some of those wrist-sized trees in one swipe! (you have to hit them at a 45 degree angle).

No problems with rust at all, even when wet and sappy for hours.

I haven't tested edge-holding yet.

I'm happy so far!

I've been clearing hundreds (maybe even thousands) of saplings that have been growing up around my property lately, by hand. We had bushfires which dumped ash everywhere two years ago, then two years of heavy rain that doubled the average annual rainfall (I've been getting about 1,500 mm / 60" per year). So trees have been growing up everywhere. Most of them I pull out by hand, but the ones that are too big have to be cut. So I carried either the magnacut field knife or pigsticker (which is ground very thin) on my belt and chopped probably a hundred trees as thick as my wrist with them. I hit dirt and rocks on occasion. To my surprise, no damage so far. I specifically thought the thin-ground pigsticker would take damage, but it didn't. I've used 52100 for this type of work in the past and it has chipped or rolled doing the same work. And the pigsticker, being as sharp as it is, would cut through some of those wrist-sized trees in one swipe! (you have to hit them at a 45 degree angle).

No problems with rust at all, even when wet and sappy for hours.

I haven't tested edge-holding yet.

I'm happy so far!
thanks!

I hope to gave some in hand at some point in the future

Currawong Currawong you must be very skilled with a big knife to cut such thick saplings in one swipe with a relatively short blade like that. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Currawong Currawong you must be very skilled with a big knife to cut such thick saplings in one swipe with a relatively short blade like that. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I can do it with the shorter, lighter pigsticker, but not with the longer, heavier field knife which will only go halfway through. So in this case sharpness outweighs length and weight. I don't think that would be true on larger pieces of wood though.

Back