Wilderness & Survival Companions

My best mate in the outdoors cant cook or carry a pack, he cant make fire or build shelter, but he loves the outdoors and hes a very loyal companion. He doesnt complain no matter how bad the weather or food is and he gets very excited when I take him with me.

His name is Bronx, hes a boxer/amstaff, mastiff.

Hes the first dog Ive ever owned thats not a working dog/pig dog and he really is awesome.

we dont have any animals that can eat you over here, but if I was in the US with bears and cougars etc I would want a dog with me for early warning if theres anything that can eat me in the area

I enjoy Pit dogs photos with his dogs in the wild so guys show us all your four legged companions out there with you, any breed, shape or size its all good, also any good stories of your dog in the wild.

cheers, Stew

while some folks like a dog on the trail, I am not one of them. I really dislike running into off leash dogs when I am hiking or camping.

As far as bears go, I'm pretty sure I can outrun my girlfriend so I don't have to worry about early warning. :D

Me and Zeus--

Picture002.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture047.jpg

As far as bears go, I'm pretty sure I can outrun my girlfriend so I don't have to worry about early warning. :D

lmao mate, I just about spat coffee on the key board.

Mannlicher, most people I come accross with dogs on the trail that are unleashed are usually well behaved and well socialized so their not a problem, I do have a problem with dogs let loose doing whatever they want and under no control from the owner. The thing I find with dogs is that they are a reflection of the owner, good people have good dogs bad people bring up bad dogs, I try and judge dogs on their behavior, if there good, awesome if there bad, leave them at home,

WILLIAM.M, Zeuss is awesome, how old is he?

Me and Bocephus. Sadly my ex got him in the divorce and I believe has since given him away. He was an awsome trail buddy.

Attachments

• 3056_94743480352_614785352_2214724_6499534_n.jpg
    3056_94743480352_614785352_2214724_6499534_n.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 180
  • n614785352_1392090_6387.jpg
    n614785352_1392090_6387.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 194
Surely a bull mastiff can carry a backpack?

In New Zealand, dogs aren't allowed in most of the places I go tramping, since they are risks to the native birds (particularly the Kiwi, whose scent is very attractive to dogs), so I don't come across them in the woods.

Additionally, I'm a cat person. :)

Cheers
Craig

Me and my daughter with our Siberian Husky Sadie, hiking.

100_5792.jpg

My good girls, Jersey(Lab) passed away :( and Cheyenne (German Shepard) out for a swim in the river.
best-Copy2.jpg

Surely a bull mastiff can carry a backpack?

In New Zealand, dogs aren't allowed in most of the places I go tramping, since they are risks to the native birds (particularly the Kiwi, whose scent is very attractive to dogs), so I don't come across them in the woods.

Additionally, I'm a cat person. :)

Cheers
Craig

Ive tried putting a pack on him as he is a very strong muscular dog but he just goes nuts rolling around and biting it, maybe when he gets older I will have another go.

your right mate dogs arnt alowed in national parks however they are allowed on general doc land, I just tell the doc guy to right it into my permit.

All my doggs go through stock and bird aversion training which involves putting them in a paddock with stock whilst the dog has a shock collar on, I just give them a zap if they look like they want to chase the stock,

for kiwi and birds I do the same thing but Doc will run it and bring preserved kiwi remains around and run a little course.

If I dont 100% trust my dog around our natural fauna and stock I dont take them out period and if a dog even after training still has a taste for stock I put them down, its just not worth the risk

VictGerbSogCamill, mate I love that husky, theyve got freaky eyes tho

Here's my pup Woody on the left and Marcelo's girl Sadie on the right.

Libby tired of scenery
hunting023.jpg

Water bottles and the gruop of 3's raingear in her pack
P8230050-1.jpg

Dan'l

cool pics, guys! i'm going to take my golden retriever hiking with me once the snow is low enough...in the meantime the voices in my head are all the hiking companion i need for now :p

Don't hate. We won't laugh if you take your cats.. promise. :D
I don't hate dogs at all. I have had as many as 5 at one time. I just don't like running into someone else's dog on the trail.
as far as cats go....................... ;)
591b.jpg

I've posted this one before but it's one of the very few I have of Thor in the woods:
DSCF1750.jpg

Here's one of him loving his one-armed, de-stuffed, stinky, monkey girlfriend:
168664_173988819304812_100000810868263_313406_6665851_n.jpg

And Thor napping with his sister-in-law, Paige:
163875_10150388062770332_543870331_16827303_1516876_n.jpg

My best pal is my boy Rigby. He's 91/2 months old now and we weighed him at the vet on the weekend. 95lbs and no fat. He loves coming ice fishing with me (8 months old in the picture) and I recently got a harnes for him to drag my sled with all the ice fishing gear in it.

He loves going for walks with me (we walk him 3 hours a day) and is currently training for his CGC and doing his basic obedience title. I can't wait to take him spring goose hunting. He has high prey drive and does a great job retrieving a variety of things lol.

P1020087.jpg

lmao mate, I just about spat coffee on the key board.

Mannlicher, most people I come accross with dogs on the trail that are unleashed are usually well behaved and well socialized so their not a problem, I do have a problem with dogs let loose doing whatever they want and under no control from the owner. The thing I find with dogs is that they are a reflection of the owner, good people have good dogs bad people bring up bad dogs, I try and judge dogs on their behavior, if there good, awesome if there bad, leave them at home,

WILLIAM.M, Zeuss is awesome, how old is he?

Thanks for the kind words about Zeus

He is 2.5" years old

Dogs can be fun and they can be a big PITA. My dog has been with the family for 11 years. We all respect her and she respects us. But in the end, she's really the old bitch of the household.

I like taking her on walks, but on camping it can be frustrating. I hate the guilt I feel when I sneak off into the wilderness to track game all by myself. She usually finds out (some how) and craps on the floor. Thats how it goes living with the bitch. But I still like her and she's good for a snuggle or two. She'll turn a dull walk into an interesting one and the next one into a disaster trying to figure out where her independent self decided to direct itself to. I here the sayings about an obedient dog, but there are a lot of 'broken' dogs that have nothing left to them, no independence and no ability to think because their master has removed their soul. Mine is a bitch, a joker, a cuddly companion. She is who she is and not always a loyal thing but her mischief ways are part and parcel of her. I love her because of her personality. Someday she will depart, the bitch will be gone. I'll miss her (kind of)....

Dogs can be fun and they can be a big PITA. My dog has been with the family for 11 years. We all respect her and she respects us. But in the end, she's really the old bitch of the household.

I like taking her on walks, but on camping it can be frustrating. I hate the guilt I feel when I sneak off into the wilderness to track game all by myself. She usually finds out (some how) and craps on the floor. Thats how it goes living with the bitch. But I still like her and she's good for a snuggle or two. She'll turn a dull walk into an interesting one and the next one into a disaster trying to figure out where her independent self decided to direct itself to. I here the sayings about an obedient dog, but there are a lot of 'broken' dogs that have nothing left to them, no independence and no ability to think because their master has removed their soul. Mine is a bitch, a joker, a cuddly companion. She is who she is and not always a loyal thing but her mischief ways are part and parcel of her. I love her because of her personality. Someday she will depart, the bitch will be gone. I'll miss her (kind of)....

theres only one thing worse than dog crap, and thats cat crap, your post got a laugh out me mate. I hear what your saying about broken dogs and it always saddens me when I see an example of a dog thats been been broken, its a fine line between bending a dog to your will and breaking there spirit

Back