Will a loose strop round the edge of a straight razor?

As opposed to a more “firm” solid one like the ones that come mounted on a piece of wood or similar.
I’ve been on a binge on Murray Carter’s youtube channel and he has mentioned this tip a couple of times, and while I know the man is no rookie, it’s always nice to have second opinions.
I’m also planning on buying my first straight razor within a few weeks so it would be helpful to know what strop to get with it.

Any strop can & will convex an edge. Especially with a lot of stopping. It just happens. You don't have to strop your straight razor. It will further refine the edge and clean it up. So, some good things. But it's your choice. I shave with mine right off the stone. Just clean it up and remove the burr. DM

My daily shave is with a straight razor and I have always used a barbers strop before shaving. Poor technique will roll the edge very fast. My face is just happier with a stropped razor. Give it a try both ways and see what you prefer.

Any strop can & will convex an edge. Especially with a lot of stopping. It just happens. You don't have to strop your straight razor. It will further refine the edge and clean it up. So, some good things. But it's your choice. I shave with mine right off the stone. Just clean it up and remove the burr. DM
My daily shave is with a straight razor and I have always used a barbers strop before shaving. Poor technique will roll the edge very fast. My face is just happier with a stropped razor. Give it a try both ways and see what you prefer.
Thank you both for the answers. I guess it’ll have to be trial and error for me.

I'm a newb with fewer than 30 straight razor shaves, so take this for what it's worth, but I've been stropping on balsa loaded with diamond paste, and the shaves seem to be getting better as I do that. So maybe convex edges are a good thing for shaving? It's not that hard to imagine, the smooth curved bevel gliding along the skin and keeping things comfortable.

So maybe convex edges are a good thing for shaving? It's not that hard to imagine, the smooth curved bevel gliding along the skin and keeping things comfortable.
Even though I don’t know enough about straight razors to personally refute that, everything I’ve heard and read points to convex edges being bad. That’s a brave stance you’re taking defending them. Then again, maybe I’m still lacking some trial and error in that regard.

I think when it comes to straight razor convex edges, we're talking micro convextivity?, as in a few microns or less at the very apex. I'm thinking this is desirable for a clean stable edge, less likely to catch skin (cut), and maximum smoothness.

I use individual hanging bare (no abrasives) cotton and leather strops before and after each straight razor shave, less than 10 laps on each. The shaves get better with each use up to a certain point. After 15-20 shaves I sense the sharpness dropping off and it's back to the hones for a touch up. After the touch up it's 30 laps cotton, 50 leather, and repeat. There's a little bit of variation depending on the razor.

Back