Will a Sebenza ruin me for other knives?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by amngwlvs, Feb 5, 2020.

1. jumpstat

jumpstat

Mar 9, 2007
    My 1st heavy duty folder was a gen 2 SmF. After some issues, I went and bought the Hinderer XM18 3.5" gen4. Beautiful knife, got all the bits and pieces that I like. Then in 2015, I was introduced to an Umnumzaan, which I purchased and was very happy with it. A week later I bought a Large 21 plain jane and that knife won me over. Carried it since. Since then, I have sold off all my unused knives except for the 21, Umnumzaan, small griptilian, PM2 spydie.

2. craniotes

craniotes

Oct 29, 2013
    Yup, my first Sebenza Kinda ruined me...

As with many here, I started my knife journey with an SAK. My first proper folder was a Kershaw Zing, after which I moved on to a Spyderco Native 5, then a Techno, took a chance on a Strider PT-CC (still dig it), and I then I finally got my first Sebenza – a small KnifeArt CF.

With the arrival today of my small micarta 31 I’m now up to 12 CRKs, so, yeah, I’m in it kinda deep, though definitely not as deep as some of the old timers ‘round these parts. ;-)

Nowadays, with the exception of a few of my customs – Ansø, Laconico, Jason Guthrie, Gareth Bull, etc – I pretty much only reach for my CRKs. And of the bunch, which includes a small Inkosi, an Impinda, an OP ‘Zaan, a Ti-Lock, a Mnandi and an Umfaan, most of the time it’s one of my Sebbies. Dunno what it is, but they just feel so “right”.

Regards,
    Adam

amngwlvs, Honed_Edge and 4mer_FMF like this.
  3. WedgeAntilles

WedgeAntilles Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2020
    I still like others like ZT, Spyderco, and We Knives. But since buying my first Sebenza, I've never gone a day without one in my pocket. I generally carry 2-3 knives anyway, just for fun. But it's always a Sebenza, and usually a ZT or a Spyderco in my Yellow Birch Outfitters pocket organizer. I have a couple knives in the mail right now, a ZT 0562CF Hinderer design in 20cv steel, and a small Sebenza 21 lefty with the rhino cgg. That'll be my 5th Sebenza. And not my last. I really want a lefty Zaan in both regular and tanto blades too. I can't say Spyderco or ZT have as many models that I'm interested in right now. Sure I'd love a Spyderco sage 5 with compression lock, and who doesn't love yet another pm2 in their collection, but CRK has really pulled me away from those other brands.

amngwlvs and Dcdavis like this.
  4. amngwlvs

amngwlvs

Jan 21, 2020
    OP reporting back - I'm just waiting to hear back from a local retailer to see if they have the model I want... With all of this stuff going on in the world I'm not in a huge hurry but if they can't get it I'm pretty well ready to pull the trigger online. I don't think I can hold out much longer!

Ajack60 likes this.
  5. amngwlvs

amngwlvs

Jan 21, 2020
    OP reporting back - finally pulled the trigger! After my local retailer couldn't get me a small 21 Insingo (understandably so - they only had inlayed Insingo's left which I didn't want for my first) I started scouring the internet and was keeping an eye on all of the sites I could find them new still wrapping my head around the purchase during this weird time. After more and more started to sell out I realized to buy new from an AD was going to get harder and harder so I went for it! Took a bit of a bite because the Canadian dollar is crap right now but it was that or lose out - I'm sure I'll forget about an extra $50 years down the road when I'm still carrying it.

Small 21 Insingo incoming and I can't wait!

Ajack60, ps72, Peakbagger46 and 4 others like this.
  6. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    Nope.. not for a second! While trucking home to get my new 21, I stopped at a truck stop to take a break and came out of the knife shop there with an SAK Alox Electrician.

amngwlvs and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  7. pxl

pxl

Sep 15, 2016
    For me it didn’t... I stil like fixed blades, such as the Nyala and the Pacific ;-). For folders I do have some other brands, but it made me very picky. For example; I like the zt0562cf, Fallkniven TK3, some MCusta’s. And some old Buck’s due to nostalgic value. But I sold a lot of folders after my first Sebenza.

guy g and amngwlvs like this.
  8. amngwlvs

amngwlvs

Jan 21, 2020
    Funny you say that, I was actually looking up Alox Electricians today... I have a feeling if I get another SAK though it will be a Classic SD and I'll have it modded/swap scales to Ti to match the Sebenza as a secondary.

guy g likes this.
  9. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    I keep a Alox electrician in my right pocket everyday. Very handy

amngwlvs and guy g like this.
  10. guy g

Oct 22, 2000
    Show pics if you do! That sounds really kool

11. longun

longun Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I love the Sebenzas, both large and small. But I am rough on pocket clips. And in my opinion the pocket clips are the weak point. Whenever I wear a Sebenza I catch the clip on something and bend it. They are relatively easy to straighten, but I have had to replace one. That is the only thing that has kept me from pocketing a Sebenza every day. That said, I will not sell either Sebenza I have. The hydraulic feel is something that I do compare other knives to. I actually prefer the small, but want to give the Zaan a try.

guy g likes this.
  12. amngwlvs

amngwlvs

Jan 21, 2020
    Custom SAK's can be a beautiful thing! I'd probably go for something like this...

[​IMG]

While I keep the clips on all my knives I rarely use them. I've had too many close calls - the scariest was when I accidentally caught my Ritter Mini Grip clip on my gym bag strap. Spent hours looking for that knife before eventually finding it clipped to my bag when I went to the gym next.

Now I typically carry them in a leather pocket organizer or free in my pocket.

guy g likes this.
  13. guy g

Oct 22, 2000
    Those are really nice! I like the colored cross.

amngwlvs likes this.
  14. amngwlvs

amngwlvs

Jan 21, 2020
    Now to hunt a blue cross to match the Sebenza! :p

guy g likes this.