Will I like my new Pioneer Tanto better than my Mini-Stryker?

Professor

Gold Member
I just ordered one of the old school pioneer tantos and I'm getting anxious after reading the posts here. First of all, is the lock subject to the same immortality as the axis-lock if not more? Is it as pocketable as my mini-stryker? I've been holding out for the mini-axis due to it's pocketability. I know it's not as light, but I know it'll be a "tank" like someone said. They really need to create a transporter like on Star Trek for shipping. How does the old lever work in comparison to the new? Why the change? How can one get replacement springs for the rolling lock, or does it have them? Is the pivot pin as thick as that used by Benchmade? Sorry to sound like a four-year-old child, but I gotta know. And oh yeah, what's with the talk of a ball bearing detent; doesn't the rolling lock provide reverse pressure? Thanks in advance for your responses.

[This message has been edited by Professor (edited 08 April 1999).]

I would like your Pioneer Tanto better than the Mini Stryker. The Rolling lock is a real lock, actually achieving the rating of "reliable". The Pioneer is a serious knife. It is big and strong enough for just about any job. The Mini Styker is not. The MS is smaller, lighter, and has a better pocket clip. The ball detents I've seen on the older Pioneers that do not use the lock to deter the blade from opening, were non-functional for all practical purposes. The combination of weight, funky clip, and poor retention of the blade in the closed position makes the Pioneer a belt pouch carry for me. But strength, reliability, and ergonomics are my priorities, and the Pioneer wins in all those categories for me. I carry a drop point Pioneer a lot, and I really think highly of it.

The front lever Rolling lock has its shortcomings. It tends to snap you in the thumb during opening, and I have not been able to find a way to comfortably close the blade one-handed without having to push the blade closed on my thigh, but those are insignificant compared to the increase in strength and reliability.

I have heard that replacement springs are easily gotten from REKAT, but I don't see replacing them very often.

Harv

What did you think of the pioneer, professor? Do you like it more than your mini stryker? Overall impressions?

------------------
Dennis

I ended up sending it back. What I didn't like about it outweighed what I did. I found the best of both words (strength and lightweight pocketability) with the BM Mini-Axis. BUT, I very very very much want one of the new Carnivores. I've heard nothing but good things, and I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements on the newer generation REKAT's. I love the Carnivore design, as in the forward grip I really think a subhilt of sorts as this knife has will keep the knife locked in your hand under duress. I'll post back when I get my Carnivore. Thanks for digging this one out of the archives!

------------------
Professor

The Carnivore is awesome, and it is as secure in the hand as you suspect. However, keep in mind that it, too, is big and heavy.

Joe

Professor,

I have used the term 'tank' and 'bomb proof' to describe my old REKAT Pioneer's. I love the two I have (sweptback and drop point). They are not light in weight for their size (5 oz), not are they slim in profile. They were designed for extremely heavy use. If you are into martial arts, you can block blows with the rolling lock design and not have to second guess if the knife is going to fold and cut your fingers off. I'm not into this kind of stuff, but I know some one who is and he just purchased a new Pioneer II with a clip point and re-designed lock.

My only complaint is that I didn't buy a left-handed Pioneer! I just moved the thumb stud to the other side and rotate the knife around when I pull it out from my left pocket. I was thinking of mounting a BM clip (sorry Bob
frown.gif
)on my drop point, but that would make it tip up
frown.gif
This is not as desirable since it has the ball detent to keep the blade in postion. The swept point is a newer version of the old knife and the rolling lock keeps the knife held in position
smile.gif
Only the real old ones use the ball detent - newer ones uses rolling lock 'reverse pressure'.

I have a couple of BM Axis and I like them, too (aside from the fact that one of them the blade hits the plastic spacer). The rolling lock is more solid, and stronger (I don't have the numbers to prove this) than the axis lock. I use my Pioneer CP for daily use all the time ever since I purchased it, and the Axis sits in on the shelf (I will be sending the Axis back to BM for them to replace spacer).

The weight and slight bulk aren't an issue for me. If some one said I could choose only ONE knife, it would be a REKAT anything (they are all great!)
smile.gif
I will be passing the my REKATS to my grandchildren unless I they can't pry them from my hands....LOL.

I was aware beforehand (thanks to Josh Burbank at Pioneer Valley) that the Pioneer was going to be heavy. It was the slighter longer-blade-than-I-needed as well as the heft that prompted my decision; I wanted something more pocketable and legal to carry concealed in Va. Here, my law enforcement friends have told me that often they measure blade length with a folded dollar bill. If your blade extends past the folded bill lengthwise (sharp and non-sharp parts alike--they don't discriminate), you're guilty of having a concealed weopon even if the clip exposes the butt of the knife in your pocket. The Carnivore on the other hand, will be my heavy duty, "can pry to the center of the earth if need be" knife. Thanks for your responses. There is no doubt in my mind (having handled the Pioneer)that REKAT's are the strongest (conventional)folding knives available on the market.

------------------
Professor

Well, speaking of springs and the Pioneer I, my spring, sprung. I guess I'm about to test out REKAT's warrenty department.

Poot.

Hey Professor, did you ever get a Carnivour?

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

Got one last week; ordered it from Excalibur here on the forum. It is great in the forward grip and has become my secondary carry folder, bumping my full-sized Axis to the knife drawer due to it's inferior forward grip (IMO). My primary carry folder is the mini-Axis, and the Carnivour accents it well. I have reasonably small hands, so the mini-Axis fits the bill for me, even in a reverse, edge-in mode (thus it is my absolute last line of defense). The Carnivour on the other hand is a forward grip monster (as I'm sure everyone knows) and continues to impress me every day I tote it. I have no doubt that I'm carrying the two absolute finest production folders on the market today. Thanks for dredging up my old post and asking!

A side note: I've recommended push daggers time and time again for women desiring edged weapons as defensive measures. Personally, I think the integral subhilt of the Carnivour would make it equally as difficult to disarm.

------------------
Professor

Ever notice no other candy tastes quite like Pez? Oh yeah, and the BM Mini-Axis and the Rekat Carnivour are the best production folders yet (IMHO of course
wink.gif
).

[This message has been edited by Professor (edited 26 August 1999).]

Back