Will REKAT change over to 154CM anytime soon?

Since 154CM is becoming popular again, will REKAT switch over to 154CM? Has REKAT thought about maybe offering other kinds of steel? Just wondering?

154 CM is good steel and there is no denying we have not had a love affair with ATS-34. It has always been our opinion that ATS-34 is over rated over and priced. So why use it? The market demands it.
We made a short run of BG-42 Pioneers three years ago they Bombed. No one wanted the extra it cost to make the BG-42 blades, at that time Latrobe only made bar stock and with the added waste because of it being bar stock BG-42 was 35% more than ATS-34. AUS-6 and AUS-8 are nothing more than 440A and 440 B with wide specs so they are out of the contention. We are always looking at steels. Currently we are working with a Special Flavor of D-2 the edge Rention is better then ATS as is the ductility. Jeff Randle is taking a D-2 Carnivore to the Jungle to test the stain resistance in an actual environment. Our test shows no appreciable difference with ATS-34 in the corrosion resistance area. We had a problem last year with Crucible in purchasing 154 CM they wouldn’t size sheets and their specs are from .114-.140 in thickness we can’t use anything below .125 so that killed that. We have always liked 154 CM but can’t purchase steel unless it meets our Specs.
We will make some D-2 Blades very shortly and looking at 154CM and another flavor of 440 C.

Bob Taylor

------------------
Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints and escaping.

Too cool
cool.gif
!
A D-2 Carnivour. You make it and I'll be there!

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.
Sun Tzu

Premature questions, I'm sure...

Ballpark prices? And how will the D-2 compare performance-wise with the Talonite carnies you made last year?

FYI, my talonite carnivour has just finished a 6 month tour of duty on the street with me in my LEO capacity. It has been rained on, dropped in snow, ground into mud, used inadvisably as a prybar and general utility scraping device, and occasionally employed to cut things, and the damn thing looks like new. The edge is only now starting to show any dulling. Its one damn fine knife.

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

Coronach
D-2 Vs Talonite isn't a fair comparsion Talonite can only be compared to Stellite and there I will let people like Darrell Ralph and Kit Carson answere that. The have used both we havn't.
D-2 VS ATS-34 We think the D-2 is better for a number of reasons only time and independent testing will tell. Pricing will not change on the D-2

Bob Taylor

------------------
Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints and escaping.

Thank you for the reply. Like Misque I would definitely purchase a Carnivore in D2. I am tired of ATS 34 steel, I am glad that REKAT is exploring using different steels! Is this a product that might be released at the BLADE show this year? Ihope,Ihope,Ihope!

[This message has been edited by Easyrider (edited 05-16-2000).]

Mr. Taylor,

Build a D2 Carnivour, and you'll have me as a customer all over again. 'Course, if you were to do a D2 UNK.... "homina homina howa!"
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
iktomi

Bob,

Any chance of D2 Carnivore blades being sold as factory installed upgrades? I would love to get a D-2 blade on my Carnivore but don't think I could justify the purchase of a new knife just to get a D2 blade.

Thanks

John.

Back