Will the Brute Chop Bone?

I'm new here and would like to say that I have learned a lot from you guys. Thanks!

I've searched through prior posts and didn't see an answer to my question, so I thought I'd ask.

I'm a trapper and hunter - not a knife collector. My blades get used, not admired. Up till now, I have been using a Knives of Alaska Brown Bear Cleaver for chopping deer legs, cutting through ribs, and chopping beaver legs off when skinning game. It's 1/4" D2 and it works great. I can really chop bone and not worry about the edge deforming. However, I find the handle of the cleaver to be too short, and will regularly skin my knuckles because of a lack of reach. I'm looking for something that has a little more reach than my Brown Bear Cleaver, but can still chop through a deer leg without getting ruined.

From what I can tell, the Brute seems like a good tool for the job. Enough reach without being a sword - as I do have to carry it while in the field. My question is, will the blade hold up to chopping bone? My requirements are :

1) Chop 8 deer legs without edge deformation
2) Be able to chop the heads and legs off 5-6 beaver without damage.

Any advice or experience ya'll can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

HI BeaverTrapper...
Welcome to the camillus forum!
In answer to your Question re bone chopping I can only say that when in Alaska last September In a party of six hunters we used a current production BK&t BRUTE to behead all six of the bears taken. When Will got his knife back from his dad it required only minor touch up on a stone.

By the way a Camillus EDC Talonite folder was used to skin and cape all the bears and it was still cutting just fine!!!!

To go along with your new Brute you might just want to get a small Talonite blade to go with it.

Thanks for the Question and come back soon...
All Best...
Ethan

BeaverTrapper,

I can't speak to bone cutting, but if wood chopping is indicative of toughness, I wouldn't worry about it at all. These knives are tough users, and fantastic designs.

Ethan,

Wow, what a story! I've never known anyone to bear hunt with knives... You must be tough! ;) :D

Thanks! That's all I need to know. I just wanted some real life feedback.

Ethan, you just sold another knife.

Back