Will there be a plain edged Outline?

Jedi Knife

Banned
This looks like quite a user friendly knife- that is, if a plain edged version becomes available. Can anyone tell me if a plain edged Outline will be available? Thanks!

JK

Hi JK,

As of now, only the serrated version will be available. If both sales of this model are high and demand for plain edge is present, it is possible a future dated model as you have describled may be manufactured.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

What makes SOG think that consumers want a serrated blade more than a plain edged one? I seriously doubt that sales will be all that high if they're all going to be serrated. That's one reason why I haven't considered purchasing any of the JetEdge knives. One experiment we can try is to begin a poll in the "general discussion forum", and ask the question "Who wants knives available only with serrated edges?" This might provide us with some valuable input from a knowledgable consumer base.

JK

Hi JK,

I understand where you are coming from. Serious knife users often prefer straight edged versions, and I understand the reasons. But some also do like the combo. If you polled knife knuts here in the forum, my guess would be 2/3 in support of straight edge, 1/3 for combo. But consumers at large are spending money differently. Our marketing have shown that our targeted consumers are preferring the combo option. When we have had the same knife in both, sales of the straight edged model were dismal enough to require cancelling it from production.

I'm actually trying to liquidate some special edition straight edged Vision series knives, but out of three dozen knives (a dozen of each model), only three have been sold...regardless of how hard I've tried...for about nine months. Here's the most recent link.

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum55/HTML/000201.html

I do understand the frustration. Try, though, to understand the associated cost to manufacturing, stocking, distributing, and marketing for multiple versions of a low volume, high priced production knife.

If the Outline takes off, varying versions would be a natural progression.

So JK, you want a straight edged version? Get 50,000 of your close personal friends to buy the serrated model.
wink.gif

How's the tally going over in the General Forum? See it linked at:

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum41/HTML/000652.html

------------------
Ron Andersen

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 05-16-2001).]

Thanks for your patient response, Ron. I know a lot of your largest customers are volume dealers who (ignorantly) think that a "combo" edged blade offers the best qualities of both serrated and plain edges, and think they can get by with only stocking these and therefore eliminating excess inventory. The true effects of this business strategy could be manifest, possibly, by the dismal number of actual "bricks and mortar" (to drive the cliché even further into the ground) knife dealers in existence.
I commend your company for the new designs, and regardless of the outcome of your new Outline, I'm seriously considering one of your (ultra-cool) Sculpturas.

JK

Hi JK,

Thanks for your kind and understanding response. These decisions are not taken lightly, I promise. It's one of those things like "you can't make everyone happy," so we make what we feel is the best fiscal decision for the company. We'd love to make multiple versions, I promise! Let's just wait and see how sales go.

The Sculptura? Awesome knife! I'm thoroughly impressed with this little puppy. It can be opened and closed by pulling back the lock release and flinging the blade either in or out. It really is gorgeous to look at…a true work of art!

------------------
Ron Andersen

IMHO partially serrated knives are the way to go, at least for a "general purpose" knife.
I think that when the feild knife version of the Recondo is released, it should be available with a partially serrated blade (similar to the Northwest Ranger).
Any thoughts?

------------------
Without data, it's just another opinion

Back